Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Hello -

I've got my unibody MBP hooked up to a 20" LG HDTV. It's hooked up from the mini display port to DVI adapter...then goes to a DVI to HDMI cable into my TV. It works but...the text and images just aren't anywhere near as clear as they are on my MBP's display...is there any way to fix this or is it just how it is?

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Try changing your Macbook Pro to its maximum screen resolution before connecting it to any external display/projection devices. This is a common issue.

Hydroxs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta
Are you mirroring the screen? If so it uses the maximum resolution on the smallest screen. Turn off mirroring or use it in clam shell mode.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
I had the same thing happen with my Gateway 24" monitor. Instead of using a DVI to HDMI, i just used a DVI cable and it came out fine. To my knowledge, there is no point in having the DVI to HDMI since you cant get the audio signal on a mac. Of course it's nice to just have a smaller thing to plug in (why I tried it in the first place) but the DVI works much better.

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
The screen is not mirrored...hope I dont' have to get a new cable...anybody have any other suggestions??

xavious85

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
I had this problem and figured out a remedy. The reason stuff isn't looking clear is because your TV's native resolution is to display at a higher resolution that the laptop screen can display. So what I usually have to do is:

-plug up my laptop to external power (if you don't do this, it will turn off when you close the monitor again)
-plug the external monitor up
-close the mointor for it to go to sleep
-wake it up by opening the monitor but closing it before it displays to the laptop monitor and there you go, displaying at the correct resolution on your TV.

-You can also wake it up if you have a USB keyboard, just hit a few keys on the keyboard to wake it up when the screen is closed.

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I've tried all of these suggestions...no luck. I'm starting to think this is just how it is...maybe because it is a TV? Does it have to be a monitor with a certain resolution or something...I'm lost?

Migsy

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
London, UK
By the sounds of it, you need to disable Overscanning

On my Sony TV, this option is called "Full Pixel", I think other TVs call it 1:1 Pixel Mapping or simalar. Not all TVs have this option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.