Macbook Pro External Display Stuttering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingping14, Apr 13, 2012.

1. kingping14 macrumors member

I have a 15" late 2011 MBP, connected to my TV with a HDMI to Mini DP adapter. I can play all my 1080p MKVs fine natively on my laptop screen but when I play them on the HDTV via clamshell mode or dual display I experience slight stuttering and lag during video play back.

The stutter isnt major but it is definitely noticeable, I can stream 1080p perfectly fine to my TV with my MBP but when I use it as an external display I get lags.

what seems to be the problem here?

2. SaggyBagz macrumors newbie

Curious.. Try playing a HD video in Quicktime through the external display to see if it does the same thing.

If you're using VLC, I've noticed that it doesn't appear to use hardware acceleration so when you play HD content, it is not so reliable (screen tearing at fast moving scenes, high CPU usage, etc)

3. kingping14 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, are there any reliable media players in OSX that use hardware acceleration to play mkvs?

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You can enable hardware acceleration in VLC preferences. Should be MacOS OpenGL or something to that extent.

5. kingping14 thread starter macrumors member

thank you for your reply, however I dont know how to turn on hardware acceleration in VLC, but I tried PLEX (which has hardware acceleration) and it still lags so I suppose it must be something else.

I then went into options and unchecked both CrystalHD decoding and matched source framerate with the TV and everything was perfect.

I dont know if the CrystalHD did anything as I dont have a CrystalHD card but I think turning on matching video framerate with TV framerate fixed the problem as the MKVs I have were all playing in 24p and the TV is in 60Hz.