MacBook Pro/External HDD problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jim0203, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jim0203 macrumors newbie

I've bought an External HDD to connect to my MacBook Pro via USB. I had a few problems getting it working, but I deduced that these were down to a slightly loose cable and decided to put up with it.

However, the drive is now locking me out of OSX - I can't click on anything - when I try to use it. I've just plugged it in to my girlfriend's MacBook, and it's working perfectly: mounts immediately, I can move the drive around physically without it disconnecting.

So I now think the problem lies either with my MacBook Pro or with my install of OS X. I'm pretty new to Macs having just switched, so would really appreciate any help anyone offer to get this sorted out. Many thanks in advance.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

3. jim0203 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that, and also running DiskWarrior on the disk. Since my last post the disk stopped working on the MacBook too, so I now think it must be a power supply problem: the drive is just drawing far too much power for a laptop to run it. I'm going to try it out on a desktop later on to check this out.