Macbook Pro - External LCD HDTV Resolution Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brighthouse, Jan 9, 2008.

1. brighthouse macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro from a little over a year ago. It is the one with the max resolution of 1440x900. My MBP is connected to a Vizio LCD 1080p HDTV. When I run my TV display at 1920x1080 it doesn't take up the full screen. I believe this is because it is in mirrored mode and my MBP can't run 1920x1080. This seems especially true because when I turn mirrored mode off (dual screen on) it fills up the entire tv screen at 1920x1080.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is my assumption correct? Is this normal?

2) If I buy a wireless keyboard and mouse can I put my MBP display to sleep and just run the TV display at full screen (1920x1080)

3) When I try to run games e.g. WOW, which is supposed to support 1920x1080 it doesn't fill the screen and the mouse cursor does not line up properly on the screen (To hit a button I have to move the mouse around away from the actual button and wait for it to light up to know that I'm in the right place) What is going on here? Is this fixable?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

1) Yes, in mirrored mode both screens run at the resolution of the smaller screen because they both have to run at the same resolution. If they didn't, it wouldn't be mirrored now would it?

2) You won't be able to sleep it, the computer must be awake to run, but you can close the lid and use only the TV display.

3) No idea, never heard of this problem before.

3. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I hooked my mackbook pro at my aunts house a few months ago. She has the visio and it was like you described until I pressed F7 (two screens) and took it out of mirrored mode, then it went full HD res and looked great.

4. brighthouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it still acting in mirror mode? Or is it only recognizing the TV as the display hence allowing full 1920x1080 resolution?