Macbook Pro external monitor problem. please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rocksballer58, Mar 15, 2012.

1. rocksballer58, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012

rocksballer58 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro that looks like this. I got it in early 2010 and have been running on 10.5.8 for a while. After about 7 months, my computer screen broke, and at 13 years old at the time, my parents didn't want to pay $1200 to fix the screen. So then my dad set up an external monitor so I could still use it and it works great. Just yesterday, however, I upgraded to Snow Leopard and now all I see is my screensaver on the external monitor and nothing else. And on the actual laptop, which has the broken screen, I can barely see some things that should be showing on the external monitor.

I took a picture and it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

3. simsaladimbamba

Of course, I didn't take a closer look after I saw the lines and immediately jumped to the 8600M GT issue. Thanks for pointing it out.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You'll need a USB keyboard but you can try closing the lid and let the MacBook go to sleep. Then wake it with external keyboard leaving the lid closed and see what happens.

As long as that lid is open and the screen active it's going to be very difficult to change which is the main screen.

5. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Hey, no worries. I admit it was difficult to see unless the image was blown up.

6. simsaladimbamba

As soon as you mentioned it and I took a gander at it again, it was obvious. Therefore accept my deepest apologies and let me eat my spinach. ;)