Macbook Pro & External Monitor Questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SparkyCanada, Apr 15, 2009.

1. SparkyCanada macrumors member

Hey there.

I was wondering if by using an external monitor with my Macbook Pro - with the lid closed - would this be any harder on the video card & possibly reduce the life of the card - compared to just opening the lid and using the Macbook Pro without an external monitor?

Also - how much harder is it on this laptop to be running the laptop screen & an external monitor?

Thanks,,
    SparkyCanada

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You should be fine using an external monitor. I've been using a 24" screen with my MacBook Pro since I got it and it has never given me trouble. And using it in clamshell mode shouldn't be a bother for it either, I've done that as well, it just gets a bit hotter but nothing worrisome.

3. machomer macrumors regular

I use my MBP all the time in clamshell mode over the past 1.5 years and have not noticed any problems or decrease in quality.

I came across a similar thread before and someone's response was "that's why the dvi port is there" its meant to be used that way. Made sense to me.

Remember to plug your powercord in for clamshell to work.

Cheers

4. aleni macrumors 68020

when i'm using external display with my MBP, i always open the screen so the heat doesn't reach onto the screen.

when your external monitor is showing up your desktop screen, simply open the MBP's LID and it will stay off. why i do this? because what i'm afraid is not about the system and graphic card, but the screen being heated by the machine. and with open LID, your system runs much cooler because the air access from keyboards is not blocked by the closed LID

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

The whole MacBook line is made to run in clamshell mode or open. The vent is on the back. Minimal heat is supposed to reach the LCD. (Well within limits.)

I usually run mine in clamshell. I haven't noticed a difference.

Enjoy the desktop feel with a laptop.

6. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone - I think I'll switch to an external monitor at work.

SparkyCanada

7. edblor macrumors regular

I wish I could switch to MAC at work;)

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

ha-ha I know how you feel. I'm a TA at a large Southern University. In my little cubby hole, I have a P3- 512MB - 25gb HD.

I'm thinking of just hooking up the monitor to my MBP and getting rid of that tower. Is that presumptuous since I was just hired?

9. Carl Abudephane, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Virtualize your workstation and run it in full screen mode on your MBP. They won't notice the difference, besides your enhanced productivity.

11. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

Actually - I bring my own MAC :D - everything in this place is Windows & I just don't get it. They said they wouldn't support the MAC in any way - so I'm on my own - and I'm OK with that...:cool:.

I find I'm way more productive on my MAC than those around me on their Windows based systems.

Go figure...

SparkyCanada