MacBook Pro & external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertofabbri, Apr 2, 2011.

1. robertofabbri macrumors newbie

I just purchased an Eizo 30" multiscan 2560x1600 to use on my MacBook Pro 2010, and I also purchased from MonoPrice the mini displayport + USB to dual link DVI adapter, I read many stories on the original from Apple, but it does not work properly.
    The MacBook Pro recognize the monitor and it offers the choice of its resolution of 2560x1600 but when I select this resolution the monitor displays a poor image, like blurred and letter rendering are horrible, I need to go back to Apple resolution 1920x1200.
    Could you assist?
    Thank you.
    Roberto Fabbri

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You need an active adapter to display anything above 1920x1200.

3. robertofabbri thread starter macrumors newbie

Active adapter

Thanks; but I believe I have an "active adapter" I purchased the mini displayport + USB to dual link DVI adapter.

4. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

How is the shielding on your monitor cable? While the signal is digital in nature, a weak link in the chain can always cause headaches.

I plan on buying an external monitor for my MBP soon (thinking of just getting the 27" Apple LCD for the sake of simplicity), I've tried various cables and adapters for hooking up to my TV to get full HD resolution but my solution sucked from the start.

MDP to VGA input @ 1080p resulted in unreadable text despite having a 1080p set.

5. robertofabbri thread starter macrumors newbie

Monitor cable

Eizo provides two monitor cables and I am assuming these are highest quality.
    Thanks.

6. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Remember the old adage of the word assume ;)

7. robertofabbri thread starter macrumors newbie

Operator mistake!

Apologies to all, but it was an operator mistake, let me explain:
    Eizo monitor FlexScan SX3031W-H offers single and dual display connection, this last one allows you to connect two computers to the same display with 1280x1600 resolution for each computer. Eizo supplies two signal cables, one for single display and the other for the dual display operation and I used the wrong cable, shame on me.
    Thank you for your assistance.

With Regards,

Roberto Fabbri