macbook pro external speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Apr 25, 2011.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2010
    My MBP is arriving tommorow :D.

I'm going to buy an external harddrive tommorow and I was wondering if I'd need some speakers? I've been using a desktop with a monitor which has pretty loud built in speakers. I'm not sure if the MBP has these. I really like to blast my **** sometimes to feel the beat.

I like listening to rap music but also watching movies and stuff... so suggestions on any speakers (if i need any)?

I'm based in the UK so UK sites would be brilliant and I don't want to pay too much. This MBP was already expensive lol! :)
  2. ender land macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2010
    The 13" speakers are loud but leave a lot to desired.

They have almost no bass.

I am not sure if this is the same in the 15" or 17" models.
  3. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2010
    how about any wireless speakers or are wireless simply not the way to go for decent quality/bass?
  4. Ommid macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2008
    Get a pair of HK Sound sticks ;)
  5. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2010
    lol they look horrible to me.

my friend mentioned using an airport express with a good quality compatible speakers? i'm unaware but financially does this make sense since the sound system will probably be like 1M away from my laptop most of the time?

i'm really surprised there is no wireless solution to speakers with good quality. if the quality is only terrible, can someone please suggest me a good set of speakers which aren't wireless?
  6. Ommid macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2008
    There is, but I dont think youll be wanting to spend that sort of money.

Problem with Airport express etc is that you only get iTunes output, unless you want to mess around with some software solutions that are available.
  7. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2010
    i see, thanks.

any suggestions for speakers under £100 guys? please :) :D
  8. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2010
    i just bought some samson 3i usb speakers. i love em.:cool:
  9. Kafka macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2011
    Agreed. Considering the price, finding a better sound is difficult.
  10. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2008
    Not here
    You mentioned that you also wanted to watch movies. How about a surround set with an optical input? That way you'll get your Dolby Digital and DTS.

I have one of the older Logitech ones that I've been using for several years and it works and sounds great.

I'm not sure what your space situation is, so that sort of setup might not be possible for you.
  11. vnle macrumors 6502

Jun 3, 2010
    I have the 17" and the speakers are fantastic. I want to buy external speakers but I really have no need to since the 17" sounds wonderful. :D
  12. NickZac macrumors 68000

Dec 11, 2010
    I've heard headphones that are louder than the 13...the 15/17 are also a joke if you like to jam. They have a subwoofer, but this subwoofer is about as serious as Donald Trump's hair. If you have some money to play with, check out the Bowers and Wilkins sold at the Apple Store with a built in sub. One of my favorite 2 piece computer speakers and it is damn near recording studio quality and louder than speakers 4x their size.
  13. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2011
    Bose companion 2 series speakers...

They match they MBP perfectly (either the older ones still available or the new series II speakers)...

Better yet, you can be a SUPER snob with a Mac and Bose!

Seriously though, they sound great.

(EDIT: FYI, I like the Logitech Z-10 2.0 speakers better (I have both), but they are no longer available.)

14. Wanderer509 macrumors member

Oct 28, 2007
    i am using logitech z2300 for mine that i got along time ago. only bad thing i would say is that its not digital input
  15. Sylent Syd macrumors newbie

Sylent Syd

Apr 18, 2011
    Kitchener, Ont
    The Altec Lansing Octave 7 pumps out some great bass...the trick with these is to lay the satallite speakers on their side...they don't sound nearly as good when you stand them vertically...really happy with them...