Macbook Pro External Video output like Tibook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mexikaner, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Mexikaner macrumors newbie

Hello all! Long time reader 1st time poster.

I've been searching for this issue non stop. And hopefully someone experienced here is willing to share some of their advise.

I'm having an issue with my Macbook Pro in which every time I hookup my video output (Mini Display Port) to an external monitor and open my Macbook for ventilation it reverts back to powering both displays instead of just one. Which would mean that the MacBooks internal and my other external monitor are both working at the same time. And as, everybody might already know, this does not allow for the macbook to dedicate all it's video card output to just one display which cuts down my resolution.

So my question being. Is it possible for my macbook to be open and also fully power an external monitor? I know it is possible while it is closed but, what about while it's open?

Also, the reason I ask is because with my Tibook 1ghz 1gb I connect my video output (DVI) and start it up in clamshell (closed) then once it's up and running I open the display up so it can get some ventilation. The difference here being that once I open up the Tibook it stays the same and just powers my external monitor instead of powering both my internal and external.

I'm pretty sure it can be done. I mean, I don't think Apple would take a step backwards as far as productivity are concerned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
    Ric

p.s Specs are Mid 2010 Macbook Pro with Nvidia Geforce 320 2.4 Ghz and 4 Gb.

2. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

First off. Running an external display and having you laptop display running will not cut down on resolution. It may slow the performance, but not resolution.

Is your MBP overheating? If not, I would just leave it closed. If you connect the external display, leave the clamshell closed then wake the computer with a magic mouse or external keyboard, then your computer will just launch the external display. Afterwords, if you still want to open the clamshell, you can without the laptop display turning on. If you are using the trackpad and keyboard, the laptop display will always run.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Turn off screen mirroring if you external adopts the native resolution of your macbook pro.

To start clamshell mode plug in the external, close the lid, let the computer sleep, and wake it up using a bluetooth/usb keyboard and mouse. You should be able to open your MBP's lid without issue once that is done.