Macbook Pro EXTREMELY LAGGY/UNRESPONSIVE/BEACHBALL HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oplix, Aug 4, 2010.

1. oplix Suspended

oplix

I don't know what the hell is going on. My MBP is freaking out. Beachballs everywhere, random freezing, apps taking forever to start.

I already repaired permissions and reset pram.

SOMEONE HELP!

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Sounds like your hard drive is dying. I hope you have backup. :)

3. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

That's funny cause I just bought this piece of ****. I think you are right though, I ran hd tune and seatools and both are showing problems. Can't believe I bought a seagate to be honest...

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Drives fail, it happens. They are the most fragile component in any computer, especially portables. Hence the importance of backups. :)

5. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Disk repair suggested backup and reformat so that's what I'm doing right now. Going to run it again after reformat to see if it fixed the drive

6. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Ok so I used Time Machine to back up my partition, erased it using Disk Utility WITH Zero Out security option and reinstalled OSX then restored the Time Machine image.

I ran Disk Verify again and it says it's ok now. Computer seems to be working fine without any hickups so far.

7. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Good, seems there wasn't a hardware issue. I would still recommend you to buy an external drive/Time Capsule to configure with Time Machine if you don't have it.

Also, invest in an app called TechTool, it will run thorough surface scans on your hard drive to look for bad sectors and stuff. My favorite disk diagnosing tool. :)

8. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Well ya I have an external thats how I made the backup. I'll look into the TechTool thanks for the tip.