MacBook Pro extremely slow?!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xriderx11, Apr 2, 2013.

1. xriderx11 macrumors regular

Hi, I own a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz i7 quad core .

When I'm watching videos ( whether its YouTube or AOL) it doesn't load fast ( the video only plays for 10-40 seconds then buffers

Sometimes my laptop icons and top bar stops responding and I have to wait a minute till it fixes...

I try to back up my hardrive but it gets stuck on "getting ready to backup" and it never backs up.

I try restarting my Mac, going into guest mode and nothing works!!! But when I go on my old PC desktop it loads just fine!

I get avg 40 Mbps download and 20mbps upload...

What do I do!?? I'm getting sick of my MacBook Pro!!! I had a problem with my other MacBook Pro and they gave me this new one because they fixed the other one more than 4 times! I to go there AGAIN!!! I'm so fed up with this stupid laptop!

EDIT:

Also the hardrive doesnt make weird noises and I am using 200GB of 750GB on the macbook pro. Could this possibly be a virus??

2. simsaladimbamba

How much RAM do you have?
    Open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back.

If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.

As for the virus, it is not a virus:
    Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    But as long as you don't install software from unknown and untrusted sources, you are safe, as malware needs administrative permissions to run successfully, which means, you need to install the malware yourself, it can't install itself (one of the reasons, why a Mac OS X virus hasn't appeared yet).
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.: