Macbook Pro failed to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teknikal90, Oct 22, 2008.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i got a penryn macbook pro.
    i go to uni and i have a backpack with a laptop hatch..
    after each lecture, i close the lid of my mac and stick it in my bag.

today,after 40 minutes , i took out my mac and it was BURNING HOT!
    i think it may have failed to sleep.....i took out the battery (since id heard of horror exploding battery stories)...and waited for it to cool down...now its working fine again, but i am afraid it may have caused damage to the insides...but surely there has to be some sort of overheating safety measures right??

bad thing is...this has happened twice now, first time i thought it was a fluke...i mean, how can it possibly fail to sleep??

anyone got this problem?how did this happen?what should i do??

ty ty :)

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this exact same thing happened to me once whilst walking to school!!!

i think the problem lies with temperatures, the computer must be at a certain temperature before it will go to sleep. if its not at that tempterature it will keep the fans spinning and whatnot.

i have no fix, only a suggestion. download the widget "Deep Sleep". in the info part you can choose what type of sleep mode your computer will do each time it goes to sleep. there are 3 settings
    1. deep sleep (save RAM to HD then turn computer off) this saves power, there is NO power consumption because the computer isnt turned on at all. (does a wierd start up when u turn it on, dont worry about that
    2. normal sleep mode. the normal sleep mode for a mac, will save RAM to the HD just incase (im pretty sure anyway)
    3. quick sleep. doesnt save RAM, just goes straight to sleep.

i use method 3 now and my mac will always go to sleep.. no idea why it works that way though..

p.s. your laptop would have suffered NO damage.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have waited for my Mac to go to sleep before putting it into my bag for ages now. Have never had the problem you described.

4. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I'v never encountered this problem either. I have run into the opposite once or twice though that it failed to wake up from sleep.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ur battery was probably flat :p

6. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

THANKS!
    ok i will search for that widget....im hoping its free??:p
    and thanks for that p.s.
    i heart my MBP, id hate for it to break...seeing as the new australian prices are ridiculously high now (almost $1k more!) i dont think id better getting anotehr MBP for a looong time..

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes lol the widget is free!!!!! i know how hard it is buying american stuff, converting prices and shizzles. im the biggest cheapo youll meet.

p.s. didnt realise your an aussie boy!!! nice to meet ya man!!

8. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

aha nice to meet you too!

oh i tried looking for that deep sleep widget, and the only one i found (one in apple website...and google) is this one with the moon and when you click it it goes to deep sleep which takes ages!....it doesnt have the 3 modes you were talkin about..do you remember where you got yours from?

9. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I prefer this one:

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

It's a free preference panel, that let you choose which sleep mode to use with a simple click. It can also change the sleep mode depending on the battery charde left so it will go into deep sleep when the battery is almost depleted, to avoid loss of data.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

LOL!

thats the widget!!

if you hover your mouse over it you will see a little i button, hit that and your set to choose your options!! sorry i wasnt clear.

mac laptops go into deepsleep when the battery is low anyways so the only use of that battery would be to sleep for you at a certain %...im guessing

11. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I am not sure I understand your point. Can you explain better please?

I probably expressed myself incorrectly. What I wanted to say is that you can set the mac to sleep (ram only, much faster) when the battery charge is high and to automatically enter safe sleep (ram and hard drive) when the charge is low. So basically you can have fast sleep most of the time and slower but safer sleep when you actually need it (on low power).

The best thing to do to avoid what the OP experienced is to wait for the mac to enter sleep before putting it away in the bag. I would also check the console after such an event and look for messages.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. ok lol...normally on a mac, any mac, the computer will go to sleep when you put the lid down and whatnot. whether it be at 99%, 50% or at 1% battery. if the computer goes to sleep by itself because the battery is dead, you can no longer use the computer, but it is still asleep (the light will be snoring). if you leave the computer overnight, in this flat stage, when you wake up in the morning the light will be out. the computer automatically will save RAM for you when it is near completely loosing battery.

that is what is known as deep sleep.

ANY mac laptop will do this deep sleep when power (and reserve power) is nearly completely depleated.

the widget Deep Sleep has a setting to enable you to enable "Quick sleep", which will not save RAM at all. if the computer happens to go completely flat, the OS will automatically save RAM to the HD for you. it will do basically the same job as the program you quoted.

2. yes i agree. quick sleep makes it much easier for this aswell.

3am...ugh i better get to bed gotta get up at 7 lol.

13. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Thanks!I often say deep sleep when I meant safe sleep! ;)

14. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Yikes, I had this very same EXACT problem just a few hours ago! I was worried.... it was soooooo hot. Thanks for the tips everyone.