Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captaineddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Hey all,

Just the other day while browsing around with my Macbook Pro, the macbook decided to freeze up. When I had restarted the Macbook would only boot the the prohibitory sign.

Oh okay, I had thought, the Hard drive was dying. Logical step since the day before a couple of the applications were crashing randomly and I felt like a lot of I/O errors have occurred.

The HD I had installed was a OCZ Vertex 3, and them failing wasn't too rare of a thing I had read.

Now, here's the fun part. Since Boxing day came up I had a chance to buy a sparkling new Samsung 840 Pro. Did so, cloned my old HD into my new one, popped it into the macbook...

and nothing.

I held down option to try to get into somewhere during boot,but the mac only provides me with an internet recovery option.

Not sure what to do at this point, the Mac COULDN'T see the vertex when it was in Internet recovery in the disk utility tool. But it can see the 840 Pro. Also a funny thing, when trying to fresh install onto the 840 Pro, the actual Macbook tells me that "Cannot be installed onto this disk".

Also at Disk utility, when I try to fresh partition it, it tells me the disk can't be unmounted.

Trying to pick a couple of brains here, the best I can come up with is that the SATA connector is dying/messing up. Agree/Disagree? I apologize for the fact Im all over the place, It's been a rough couple of hours. Ask questions and I'll run tests/tell you results.

Thanks you all!

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Trying to pick a couple of brains here, the best I can come up with is that the SATA connector is dying/messing up. Agree/Disagree? I apologize for the fact Im all over the place, It's been a rough couple of hours. Ask questions and I'll run tests/tell you results.

Thanks you all!

I agree...did you had to replaced the SATA connector to accommodate the first SSD?

captaineddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I agree...did you had to replaced the SATA connector to accommodate the first SSD?

No I didn't have to, the first SSD (Vertex), didn't need or have another SATA cable to connect.

I've physically inspected it, it doesn't look broken.

Also, forgot to mention. When the Macbook was failing in the first place, I tried plugging in a USB mouse (for some reason, forgot why), and the whole thing seized, forcing me to restart from there. Could also be a motherboard (hopefully not) issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.