Macbook pro fall 2010 update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badfish123, Sep 18, 2010.

1. badfish123 macrumors newbie

Im thinking about buying a macbook pro, but i was wondering if Apple will be making any significant updates this fall. If so, will the update be anything more than a simple speed boost? Also, will the MBP 13'' get an i3 processor, or is this unlikely? In the past, I have bought a MBP right before a new model came out, and i dont want this to happen again.

thanks

2. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

A real update isn't going to happen before Q1 2011, you might be able to get the i7 133MHz faster

3. badfish123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is an update in early 2011 worth waiting for? what might Apple include in an update then?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one but Apple knows. If you need the MBP, buy it. No matter when you buy, there will always be a new one coming out within a year, during which time you could have been using yours.

5. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

If you need a new PC just buy which ever mac is available.

I bought my MBP just 5 days before this april's update, yet I am still not unhappy with my machine. If you wait for the next revision, why not wait for the one after that too? Or the one after that, or the one after that, or the one... You get my point.

There will always be a sexier, shinier toy just around the corner, but we are talking about macs not IBM compats. An IBM compat which is a few revisions old is worthless, a mac which is a few revisions old is still a beautiful thing which has value.

Just do it.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just get it now, it isn't worth waiting, you loose so much fun... :D

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

A 2.8GHz i7 processor is in the works for Q4 2010.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

A lot of people will be really pissed off if Apple updates the Macbook Pros 6 months after the last refresh. If I had a nickel for every time I saw a "Should I wait", "When's the next update" or "Matte vs. Glossy" thread I could buy Arn out and own MR. :p

9. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

co-signed

10. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

has there been any news on that since july?

11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Google "i5-560m", "i5-580m" and "i7-640m". They are coming up in computers in online stores but is out of stock yet. Acer, HP, Fujitsu and Sony among others.

12. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Whilst this is a great resource... it is slightly misleading.
    The 15" and 17" received a bigger upgrade than the 13".

I'd love them to split models into different areas for the Buyers Guide.
    i think many people would mind a minor upgrade / speed bump soon after they purchased - but a major update - then I can understand some people get upset.

13. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

There will be a major update (late Q4 - early Q1)
    with a Sandy Bridge CPUs :

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3876/intels-core-2011-mobile-roadmap-revealed-sandy-bridge-part-ii
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_sandy_bridge_cpus_sooner_than_expected.html
    Core i7 2620M - top 15" (and maybe 17")
    Core i5 2540M - middle 15" (and maybe 17")
    Core i5 2520M - bottom 15"

Also a lot of flaws (such as freezing, problems with GPU switching, etc.)
    which were common among early 2010 models
    will be fixed (I hope)

:apple:

14. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Very promising, I am waiting for the Sandy Bridge chips for my next MacBook Pro purchase. Definitely. This will be the second generation Core i7 and it will be faster.

15. Ricket macrumors newbie

It looks to me that Sandy Bridge may not be upcoming in the October/November refresh; that might be too optimistic, and it's more likely that it'll happen in the spring. Just my guess.

I won't be patient enough to wait until spring, but I think I can hold off for this Fall update in case the MBP 17 is updated with better hardware.