Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juice99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Hollywood, CA
Hello, I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and when I open Yahoo the cooling fan goes on and sounds like its going to fly out of the computer, this only happens when I visit sites like ESPN or Netflix, the station where the computer is located is well ventilated, cool and dry and I am running ClamXav to identify any maleware. Should I move all of my Yahoo email to Gmail and stop going on Yahoo all together or am I not protecting the computer from unwanted intrusions through the firewall settings? Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank You

bradleyjx

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Madison, WI
Two notes:

- The antivirus software may be contributing to the load of your computer; the more things that it needs to do, the more the processor needs to actually do things, which means it heats up and the fans blow harder. You'll likely get different opinions on the necessity of AV software on an OS X device, but I'll leave that argument for others...

- Most of the sites that you mention have pieces of the site that use Adobe's Flash plugin. Usage of this plugin is relatively pervasive on websites, and it's one that will make a processor work. My fan will blow harder just by being on flash websites, though not to the degree you are describing.

I wouldn't worry about it too much; probably the best thing that you could do to your computer is to open up the bottom and see if you can get some dust out from the fan and vents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.