Macbook Pro fan question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calvy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

Using the iStat pro widget, I never see my right fan spinning. My left fan is always spinning.

I've had the motherboard replaced in this first gen MBP already. I'm hoping I don't need another one, nor a major tear apart. I use it on an iLap almost exclusively, so it never gets real hot.

Should I not trust this widget? I have to say though, I can't hear anything spinning on the right side of the computer. Do I need service?

//oops, wrong forum...mods, I meant to post in Macbook Pro forum. Move wherever appropriate please.

2. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

So no one else in here has a macbook pro that can confirm whether or not both fans are spinning?

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

I would take it in for service. Both fans are supposed to spin.

4. coogee macrumors regular

Both fans should definitely be spinning together, something is wrong.
    They may be able to replace the fan assembly and not the entire Logic Board but I've never seen my fans run out of sync..

5. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Have you tried smcFanControl or Fan Control to check if they see the other fan running? I've also got a Rev. A MBP that had the logic board replaced and I've never experienced one fan not running. You should also try the Apple Hardware Test on the install DVD and see if it finds any errors.

Attached Files:

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hey how do you get fan control to work in leopard? i thought leopard broke it. ive been using smcfancontrol but i like fan control a lot better. has there been an update?

7. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I got smcfancontrol installed, it says the same, no right fan spinning. I pulled out my Tiger DVD and ran hardware tests, and I'm getting this error message consistently now. I'm going in to see a Genius in about an hour, I'm sure I'm in for a new logic board. I wish I could get bumped up to Core 2 Duo out of this.

Error message:
    4M0T/1/40000002: Left_Middle_Front

I got 4SNS/1/40000000:'TCOD' the first time I ran hardware test, but I reseated my RAM and am getting only the above message now.

8. jlg84 macrumors newbie

How'd they Fix it?

Hi there; I have a MacBook Pro that I brought with me when I moved to China in 2006. The computer has been running very very hot lately and it occasionally will turn itself off (very annoying) so I ran the Apple Hardware Test today and got the same error you got (4M0T/1/40000002 Left_Middle_Front). I brought it to a repair center but they were not very knowledgeable, so I wonder what they did to fix yours, so maybe I could offer them some advice...

Thanks for your help!