Macbook Pro fan speeds won't change

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by edbtzy, Feb 13, 2010.

1. edbtzy macrumors newbie

I recently bought a macbook pro and been happy with it since. I did notice it started to get hot so i did some reasearch. People kept saying that when the CPU % starts going up, the fan speed automatically goes up as well...but when i ran a CPU test, my fan speed just stayed at 2000RPM (default) while my CPU was at 100%...is this normal at all?????

I was thinking the RPMs would go up a significant amount to cool down the CPU....whats going on here?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your fan speeds are influenced by heat, not CPU utilization. If the temp gets high enough that the fans need to speed up, they will. You don't need to worry about it. Your Mac knows how to monitor and control the fans, as needed.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2000rpm is the idle fan speed, the fans spin up when the temperatures rise.

100% CPU use for a short amount of time might not really result in the need for the fans to speed up.

Have a look at the temperatures via iSat Pro Or iStat Menu (www.islay.com) and get SMC Fan Control or FanControl if you want full control.

Also have a look at the many, many, many, many threads about the speed of fans of Apple computers via MRoogle.

4. edbtzy thread starter macrumors newbie

but during the CPU test my temperatures rose to 190 degrees!!!! and still, the rpm was @ 2000...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's normal. Relax.

6. edbtzy thread starter macrumors newbie

if i run smcfancontrol, does the mac still automatically adjust fan speeds or does the fancontrol override to fan settings

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What scale are you talking about?

Fahrenheit - no worries.

Celsius - good bye future children, and whatever burnt with the computer.

Kelvin - we don't need to go there. If that would be the temperature of CPUs, we would be very happy.

8. edbtzy thread starter macrumors newbie

i was just wondering because @ times ill have only my web browser open and my temps go up to 67-70 C

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Flash most probably, the sucker of CPU power.

You can install ClickToFlash for Safari if you want to disable Flash. Or not.

10. edbtzy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the quick replies!

Do you recommend setting the smc rpm to 2500-3000 area or only increase when i notice CPU getting hot?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, that's within the normal range.
    I recommend you leaving your MBP fans alone, until you have a problem... which you don't. You obviously don't know what is considered "hot", so how can you possibly know how to control your fans better than Apple?

12. edbtzy thread starter macrumors newbie

lol are you mad or something? relax, i asked a simple question. I never said nething about being able to control the fans better than Apple...but thanks for your input

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not mad. I asked a simple, valid question. Why are you trying to modify your fan operation, when your MBP is operating normally? What makes you think you can improve on the design?

14. edbtzy thread starter macrumors newbie

because i read somehwere else that going up to 90 C is considered HOT...and when im running flash, illustrator or ne adobe program my comp goes up to 80 C...

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.intelmactemp.com/list