MacBook Pro Fan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heartsthecoal, Jan 31, 2011.

1. heartsthecoal macrumors newbie

I purchased my MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 320 GB Hard Drive) and received it last Tuesday. It was completely silent for the first couple of days (other than when I had a cd in, of course). A few days ago I started to notice that the fan is constantly on. It's not very loud; kind of like a low whirl. If I'm in class I can't hear it because of all of the background noise but if I'm sitting in a room with minimal noise I can hear it and it's bothering me because it was silent at first.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if something is wrong. I feel like I'm overreacting but come on; I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on this macbook and I'm expecting it to be perfect in every way.

The only things I have changed since last week (the purchase date):
    Added Microsoft Office
    Downloaded Evernote
    Uploaded maybe 60 pictures

I don't know. I'm debating whether or not I should take it to the apple store to get checked out. I probably will, but feedback would be great before I make the trip.

2. alphaone macrumors 6502

It's hard to say exactly from your description (noise is subjective) but it may be normal, or there may be something using some resources causing it to warm up a little. If you want to check open up the activity monitor in the utilities folder and see if something is hogging the cpu.

3. BugBytes macrumors regular

Nothing is wrong with your laptop, the fan is naturally supposed to turn on once you begin working enough to heat up the hard drive because if it didn't run your computer could overheat and that would not be good. If the noise is bothering you I don't know what to say since the fan isn't really that obnoxious at all unless something is wrong with it, and it would sound really weird/loud if something was wrong with it. You should be fine in my opinion.