MacBook Pro Fans 6192 RPM at 45F...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sleepr, Mar 10, 2010.

1. sleepr macrumors newbie

I've read a lot of the threads regarding the fans in the MBP running constantly. I have MBP (system serial: #W89458HN642) running SL 10.6.2 purchased in late January of this year. A few days ago, I noticed the fans started running non stop at 6192 rpms! This was true whether I was using it or whether it was sitting on the table. I installed smcFanControl with no effect other than I noticed that the temperature read by smcfancontrol was 32F for a second then 117F while istat was reporting a CPU and heatsink temp of 45F?! I ran Apple's Hardware test and I got the following error code: 4SNS/1/40000000:TCOD-128.000 (short test) then another after I ran the longer test: 4SNS/1/40000000:TNOP-128.000
    I wiil try zapping the PRAM next. I also started up from a safe boot, no affect. Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I can't decipher those error codes but it sounds to me like your Mac has one or more faulty temperature sensors. If you live near an Apple store take it in and see if they can tell you more.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I would start by correctly uninstalling smcFancontrol and then reset the SMC. See what iStat is giving as a reading. If the reading is still incorrect, I would verify that you've uninstalled smcFanControl correctly and reset the SMC and take it to the Apple Store or authorized repair centre.

4. mbpro108 macrumors newbie

Had same problem here..

I had the same problem with my fans going max speed. I had different error codes than you though. I have applecare so sent the computer in since the nearest apple store is about two hours away. To make a long story short, the top case had to be replaced. Works perfect again!!