Macbook PRO fans at 6000rpm using Firefox ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwdebes, May 19, 2008.

1. rwdebes macrumors 6502

Sup guys , i dont know whats going on but my macbook is getting very hot sometimes , becames really noisy aswell, the main thing is most of the time im not using photoshop or any other heavy software, just firefox !!

right now i have open MSN , FIREFOX .

FAN SPEED: 6000 rpm L/R

temperature: CPU 155 F

GPU diode: 156
    GPU Heatsink: 135

the rest are around 120 F ..

so whats going on ?

thanks

2. rwdebes thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Open up "Activity Monitor" in your applications/utilities folder (or spotlight search), select "all processes" and post a screenshot. Check to see what's taking up CPU %.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Heat happens. Fans come on and it cools down. Happens to me
    all the time every hour or two.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

If a web page has a lot of Flash animations on it, that can cause heavy use of your CPU (which generates heat and causes your fans to run).

Like someone said, launch the Activity Monitor program (which is in your Applications > Utilities folder) and see what's going on.

After you launch Activity Monitor, set it to show All processes, and then click the CPU tab so that the arrow points down. This will show the processes that are using the most CPU on top.

Sometimes it's a process that you don't see in your dock that's causing the problem...

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

also if you're viewing something flash intensive on firefox it tends to get hot.

7. gpeden macrumors regular

Hi there,

I've encountered a web page (local TV listings) that for awhile would run one of the CPU's at 100% on FireFox, heat up the computer and tend to slow down other processes. I ran another browser app for that page until that issue went away - probably an ad :)

Cheers!

Glen

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

stop crying!

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

That's the primary reason that I quit using Firefox, the second being that you lose the numerous advantages of using a Cocoa-based app.

10. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

11. JU1CYFRU1T macrumors newbie

I'm a TOTAL mac newb... but I thought I read a few days ago about some 'print' bug that maxes out the processor... to the point that it is 'always' at ~70% or something...

could that be the problem?

12. elmz macrumors regular

I found this today on Digg "Firefox 3 with system-killing performance problem in Linux"

http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/66509.html

Not sure if it's related, but might be worth looking into. I stopped using Firefox after Safari 3 came out =)