Macbook Pro fans going CRAZY.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spencer Reynen, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Spencer Reynen macrumors member

My MBP 13" early 2011's fans were screaming at me so loud just a few minutes ago. All i had open was firefox and itunes. I shut it down and it is quiet now but a bit louder than usual. It's in it's usual place and it didn't make this much noise before. Any ideas? thanks

2. Mr.Outside macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

I'm a huge fan of these things, but I wouldn't call myself crazy...

3. Spencer Reynen thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha... This guy. ^ I wish there was a like button on this forum... that was so hilarious and made my day. :)

But could I really get some help.

4. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Were you in this crowd?

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

One of those apps was causing your cores to work (causing heat) for whatever reason. It's impossible to say anything more specific from just your OP.

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I had the same problem when I had either FFx or Chrome open. I think it had to do with Adobe flash, or possibly some bad extension I downloaded.

I solved the problem by uninstalling both Chrome and Firefox, and the files in the Library files. I forget the precise location, but I am sure a Google search can help you there.

Just uninstalling the app will not help as the bad stuff was in those files.

Now my fan isn't running all the time on high when browsing normally.

7. mape2k macrumors regular

Check the activity monitor to see which app is causing the load.

8. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

my fans go crazy often since updating to lion. ugh.
    but everything is working well, so...am living with it (for now).

at least they serve a purpose (which, i believe, is to make as much noise as possible...)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your fans and temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what apps may be placing high demands on your CPU/GPU.

10. Spencer Reynen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help man. I was watching a video on facebook so that could be the problem. I just thought it was weird because all I was doing was watching a video and the fans were just going wild. They were quieter when I was editing w/ Final Cut Pro. :/

11. djhyro macrumors member

Shockwave on FF eats up CPU like nobody's business

12. eShrimes macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

haha I read the title wrong too :p

13. Hpye macrumors 6502