MacBook Pro Fans Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raquiros, Jun 20, 2008.

1. raquiros macrumors member

raquiros

Hello guys,

I recently switched from PC to MAC... Finally!.... I bought a MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz with 2GB of RAM (Upgraded to 4GB)..

I use my laptop for heavy FPS gaming... some of my games runs on Mac, and some of then on Windows Bootcamp... It doesnt matter on which OS I'm playing my laptop always gets hot, so I recently purchased a Targus cooling pad that provides 36CFE of cooling... and It's becoming cooler...

I also downloaded the SMC Fan application for manually set the RPM for the fans... my question is.... are there any negative effects on setting my fans to work at 6K RPMs permanently (besides the noise) along with my cooling pad? or is something not recommendded... I just would like to keep my MBP as cool as possible

Thanks in advance

2. Snowbound macrumors regular

I'm actually curious about this too...Will a higher fan RPM draw more battery? Probably. Will they be more likely to wear out? Any other concerns?

3. fixedbymike macrumors newbie

fixedbymike

I have used different programs when gaming on my MBP to control the fan temp. For example when I used to play WoW I would set the fans to max RPMs to keep the unit cool. It did draw more power, and about a year later my fans weren't running very well, they were loud and often times didn't cool like they used to. I recently replaced them and it's back to the way it was when I first purchased the machine.

Moral to the story, I would say, keep your fans at whatever speed the OS makes them. Otherwise you might risk wearing down your fans like I did.

4. raquiros thread starter macrumors member

raquiros

You're right... it makes sense... Im also very concerned when I play FPS games on BootCamp... there is no fan control at all from what I've heard... Im using a good cooling pad now however

5. jcroeth macrumors newbie

I use SMC Fan Control as well on my MBP. My concern isn't really about power loss but rather the wear and tear on the fans (if any)

To me, using SMC Fan Control while playing a game doesn't seem like a big issue because when I play a game (any full screen game) my fans go up to almost 6k RPM anyway (using SMC Fan Control or not).

However, what I do is I run my fans at 3k all the time (default is 2k). Anyone think this might have a negative effect on the fans?

I've done some searches but I haven't found anyone that had an issue yet.

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I would say yes here, any mechanical part that is overworked is going to give up longevity. I just had one replaced in mine and it was like $130 or $150 or something, took about 3 days...