MacBook Pro faults - can a Mini do what I want?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by minusten, Jul 31, 2009.

1. minusten macrumors member

I've recently purchased a previous generation MacBook Pro 2.66, 4gb RAM, 6mb L2 cache, 512 discrete graphics - all the standard specs.

It's arrived and there are several faults with it (the faults are issues for a separate discussion) - but they do include elements that a Mini doesn't have, ie: battery, screen etc, which made me wonder if I'd be better off if there was 'less to go wrong'. I've got two options, either try and get a replacement (which might be tricky as it's previous generation) or send back and buy a Mini instead (if I want a system without built in screen but for less than a full size pro machine - I don't want an iMac as I already have a decent screen).

So while I love the idea of being portable with this machine, that was a glorious luxury for me and not an essential. Taking portability out of the equation - how does a Mini (2.0, 4gb RAM, 3mb L2 cache, no discrete graphics - I think those are the major configuration differences) compare? I know that each individual element may not make a huge difference, but collectively how much difference am I going to see overall? The most strenuous task this will regularly face is running several Adobe CS and MS office applications at the same time - but if I did want to do basic video editiing, is the Mini up to it?

Also, without turning this into one of those 'when are they going to update' threads, when is it most likely the Mini will be updated? Is now a good time to buy a Mini?

As a final note - can anyone tell me if an optical drive is as noisy on a Mini as a MBP? I'm not necessarily classifying this as a fault on my MBP, but it is incredibly noisy at startup, and spins for at least two minutes upon insertion of a disc - is this normal, and will a Mini be the same?

One downside about the Mini that I'm aware of is the lack of easy upgradeability.

Thanks to all in advance

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not for a very long time. If you look at apple's track record for updating the mini you will find that it goes for years w/o an update and they recently updated the puppy this year so its going to be a very long time before you see another update to the mini.

Mine also spins up (MBP) if I leave a disc in the driev at boot up. Not a huge deal and I never thought it was loud.

Yep, its a royal pain to upgrade the HD and memory.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I own both a MBP and a Mini and have to say that the MBP is much easier to deal with. Replacing hard drives and RAM is simple with the right tools. The Mini requires more time to replace anything because of the difficulty in opening it up, having to disconnect all the parts, replace the hard to reach hard drive and RAM, reconnect all the parts, and seal it all back up without breaking anything. Don't forget the loss of portability.

Duds appear every once and awhile, so just get the MBP replaced.