Macbook Pro favorite accessories?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shelovesMAC, Aug 17, 2010.

1. shelovesMAC macrumors member

I searched through a few threads but I want to know what the up-to-date best accessories are for the Macbook Pro?

I was thinking about buying a hard case but knowing me, it will scratch my baby so I'm looking for other protective accessories to purchase like:
    silicone or rubber feet for the bottom and corners
    foam sheets to stick in between the closed laptop (i'm using the one that came with the box)
    palm rest cover (I know Moshi has a sticker one but does anyone make a cover sheet?)
    a cooling laptop stand

I bought a Moshi keyboard guard already and I may buy an Incase Sleeve or a corduroy sleeve from Etsy. Bluelounge products are next on my list.

Thank you!

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Just fyi, the keyboard lets out a lot of heat. The keyboard guard will help overheat the computer if it starts running hot. In the directions it says do not place anything over keyboard while running. I don't know why they sell it at Apple.

Mine would have to be the Hurley backpacks, the Incase sleeve plus(Although I use a Hurley one cause it matches my backpack. :p), Wrapsol (Its like Invisible shield but so much better. I would get this instead of the Moshi palm guard.), and a Magic Mouse.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i have the original iCurve stand. i believe they make an updated model of it. the great thing about it is it actually helps airflow and keeps the computer running 5-10 degrees cooler with no fans.

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Microsoft bluetrack wireless mouse. Works on any surface with one battery and has a tiny connector. Very accurate too.

WD mybook essential external HDD.

Apple remote.

Apple cinema display at work./ Dell Ultrasharp 27" at home. Much prefer the dell because the ACD has a blue hue because of the led and is glossy. The Dell has a great resolution, same IPS pane and was much cheaper

5. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I'm shocked how many people out there buy Macs and then cover them with every single type of protective sleeve/film/pads they can get their hands on. Don't get me wrong, I love the appearance of my Mac and would be sad if it was to get scratched. But covering it up to keep it safe defeats the purpose of having a nice looking design, no? I always felt the same way about the bra covers people used to put on the front of their cars.

6. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

+1
    The only thing I would put on my Mac is an invisible shield.

7. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

I had an invisible shield on my old phone. Is it reliable? I don't plan on carrying my Pro around but I'm pretty clumsy and I can see myself dropping something on it so I need a lot of protective products.

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Apple Wired Aluminum Keyboard
    Apple Magic Mouse
    1TB Toshiba Portable Hard Drive for TimeMachine backups.

I agree completely. Why hide such a beautiful design?

9. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

the invisible shield is more for scratches then drops.. if you see yourself dropping it perhaps a hard case? yeah it covers up the looks [just get a clear] but thats better then damaging your computer bad

10. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Nothing will really stop a good drop. Hard case will save the outside but the shock isn't absorbed. I use Wrapsol for my outer body to prevent scratches and then sleeves for when im carrying it.

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

The only "accessory" I have is a Moshi palm guard. That's about it.

12. djlutzker macrumors member

I use these accessories for my macbook pro:

Tucano Second Skin Neoprene Sleeve (With charger pouch also)

Invisible shield full body

Moshi clearguard for the keyboard

:D

13. andrew086 macrumors regular

Wrapsol (it's like the invisibleSHIELD but it has a matte finish)
    I plan on getting the moshi ClearGuard
    be.ez Sleeve

14. Yimbie macrumors member

A MUST HAVE for me is the Moshi Clearguard. It keeps the keyboard pristine by helping to protect against any minor spills and crumbs and also keeps the keys from becoming shiny from oil. For traveling, I use the Incase Nylon Tech Brief specifically made for the 17".

15. happy2gomac macrumors newbie

Newbie here. :) Like BIG TIME newbie actually! I understand the clear shields are only good for scratches and don't help much when dropped. Are they good for dust as well? I live in the city and due to weather keep my doors and windows open nearly 24/7. It only takes a few days where I have to wipe down my electronic equipment. There's always a light sheen of black that covers everything. It's just how it is living downtown. Ugh. Anyway, I know I probably can't do anything when the laptop is open and I'm using it, but would these clear shields help for the dust and junk that's always in the air when the laptop is closed? I'm SURE it's terrible for every device I have. Not much I can do about it but try to cover my new toy up! Thanks for any suggestions!

Curious, the "sleeves" they sell are do the same thing as the "shields correct? Protect from scratches? They're not good for protecting a laptop if it's dropped right?

I purchased this to use on my lap: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

IF it stinks, I can easily return with Costco's great return policy. Anyone try it?

MAY go this route with a laptop case. Same situation with Costco.......I can return it if I don't like. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

STILL looking for a lower price 1TB scratch disk for video editing.

16. ccashman92 macrumors regular

You cannot prevent dust on electronics. It is impossible. Will it prevent dust and dirt scratching your laptop? Of course.

17. happy2gomac macrumors newbie

I know for sure I can't prevent it, but I definitely want to try to limit the damage to my new Macbook Pro. Like I said, being downtown it's ridiculous the black film that covers everything. The Moshi Keyboard Cover looks like it could help a bit. I'll probably combine that with either the Wrapsol or another "clear shield". The Wrapsol seems "less protective" than the stronger clear shield devices though. Trust me if you could see dusting in my place you'd be paranoid too about how dirty the air is. Just doing what I can. That's all. Funny, on all my other PC laptops, I never even considered protective items like this. And they weren't cheap!

18. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Wrapsol is the best you can get. All the other ones wear off and fade yellow after only three months!! Wrapsol has a lifetime warranty of your product. Even if you mess up on the install you get a new one. I'm gonna combine Wrapsol and the Moshi Keyboard Cover . I may not still with the keyboard cover cause it supposedly causes overheating.

19. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

I'm only using the Moshi Clearguard when I close my display (I had a feeling it may not ventilate the heat) but I just purchased the Shaggymac screen protector thing in "Alloy" and I will be purchasing the Incase Plus sleeve :)

Thanks everyone!

20. happy2gomac macrumors newbie

Can you elaborate? I did not understand this sentence. Would the Moshi Keyboard Cover AND the Wrapsol or another clear shield combined cause heating issues? Or does one or the other cause heating issues on it's own? I don't need that for sure. Thanks and sorry I didn't understand.

21. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Fr me personally, I have the following..

1. Moshi ClearGuard Keyboard Cover (Experienced no overheating issues at all)
    2. Griffin Elevator Stand
    3. Apple Wireless Keyboard (with KBCover Black keyed protector)
    4. Apple Magic Trackpad.

22. alexlam macrumors newbie

I have both the moshi keyboard cover AND the wrapsol skin on my macbook pro and the highest temp i've reached so far while playing sc2 is in the 80's.

for me, i have the following:
    radtech sleeve, shaggymac keyboard cover, moshi keyboard cover, wrapsol skin, rain stand. I think my favorite most useful accessory by far has to be the moshi keyboard cover. Right now I see small crumbs on the cover but i know all it takes is a quick rinse and I'm good to go again

23. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

24. happy2gomac macrumors newbie

How do you do a "quick rinse"? I bought a couple of cans of air dust to blow crap away. I will definitely go the moshi keyboard cover and wrapsol skin route. Sounds like the best deal for me. The most expensive accessory I've purchased so far was an all stainless steel table from Ikea for my laptop. $220 with wheels. Kind of a work station, so not really an accessory per say but the aluminum macbook pro looks great sitting there..........aluminum Macbook plus stainless steel table is awesome!!!

25. lcdonnelly macrumors newbie

Griffin Elevator

The Griffin Elevator rises your MacBook Pro a few inches off your desk to provide more comfort while working, It also works as a display stand while you aren't using too, this creates space on your desk blah blah blah, I won't go on, just get it, you'll see what I mean.