Macbook Pro Feedback (Suggestion Box) - Screen Options & Design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trevtech, May 14, 2010.

1. trevtech macrumors newbie

Just wrote Apple an email regarding inadequacies with their screen options, and design, via their Macbook Pro feedback page...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

I suggest you all do the same in trying to provoke Apple to build us what I know a lot of us want.

Here's what I sent 'em....

"Hello,

I guess this is the closest thing to a suggestion box for Apple. I'd just like to voice my requests, and possibly influence the future of whats offered in the MBP line. These requests are not only my own, but many others that compute with OSX, as well. I'd think if enough of us spoke up, Apple would in turn follow suit with what their customers want...

1. Please offer an anti glare 13" MBP. The gloss screens are just terrible for a "portable" computer. I'm confused as to why its not standard, instead of just being an option.

2. Please engineer the screen bezels on all of your MBP's to be as thin or thinner than the 17" MBP. In fact, make the screen go completely edge to edge. You could fit a 14.5" screen in a 13" chassis. That would look amazing! (anti glare of course)

3. Please offer anti glare on the 15" in 1440x900, as well. The absence of this is mostly why I am not purchasing right now, and would rather wait to see what you'll do in the next revision. You have a glossy 1440x900. Why not an anti glare 1440x900?

4. Please return the keyboard to silver. I have not found a single person that digs the black keys that were introduced with the unibody MBP's. The only reason I can see for the change was to maybe add contrast to the illumination coming through the keys. I never saw a problem with the silver keys on my Powerbook though. Nor had anyone else I know with Powerbooks, and non unibody MBP's.

I know these requests are mostly cosmetic, but the anti glare screens should really be offered on all sizes of the MBP, and with all available resolutions. If you offer a 1440x900 anti glare 15", I'll buy! If you offer an anti glare 13" without a huge bezel taking up real estate that could be used for more screen, I'll buy!

Hopefully all these issues will be addressed with the introduction of the Sandy Bridge Huron River CPU's into the MBP line in 2011. I will be waiting patiently until then...

Thanks for hearing(reading) me out!"

Couldn't hurt, right?!!

2. Mirabella macrumors regular

Well, now you've found a person who prefers the black keys: Me.

Not for cosmetic reasons. I don't know and don't care about what is better looking. I care about function.

You correctly deduced the functional advantage. When using the MBP in bed, looking at the keys from a low angle in the dark, the silver keys reflect enough light from the screen that I can't see the illumination on the keys – can't easily make out which keys they are. The black keys remain easily readable under the same circumstances. Thus, the black keys are an important functional improvement over the silver keys, for me.

3. trevtech thread starter macrumors newbie

To each their own.

The keys, as you'll notice, are fourth on the list. My gripes are mostly with in inconsistencies in screen options. This has been discussed up, down, left, and right all over this, and other forums, too. But what I'm also trying to get across is for everyone that is irritated about something missing from the design to drop Apple a line with their thoughts. You think Apple scours these forums for details on what buyers want, or are unhappy about? Maybe they do a bit, but probably not much. So if you don't like it, or you want it better, then take your thoughts straight to the source. Many probably do this already, but there are probably many many more that it hadn't even crossed their minds to do so.

4. Mirabella macrumors regular

That's a fair enough point. I agree that it's good to make your desires and/or demands as a consumer heard by the company.

As someone who wanted a 17" matte screen, and is able to get one, none of your other gripes really matter to me. My only gripe, so far, would be that I would've liked if Apple included the option to switch to only using the integrated video card, not the discrete, along with the already included options to switch to just the discrete video card, and to switch between them automatically. However, (1) Apple is already well aware of this request; (2) Third parties are already offering acceptable solutions. So, I don't really have any gripes to express to Apple, at the moment.

Cheers.