Macbook Pro Feet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snerkler, Dec 20, 2013.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

A couple of the black plastic/rubber feet have come off my MBP recently and I'd like to buy replacements. Is there anywhere I can buy them in the UK without having to trek to an Apple store (quite a journey for me)?

I've seen these on Amazon, but clearly they're not the genuine ones and concerned they're not going to be brilliant as, looking at the Apple guide to fitting new feet it seems quite a process and there's several 'pieces' to each foot. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5236
    Are the ones from Amazon OK, or should I really look for the genuine ones?

Also, how do I find out which model code my MBP is? It's an early 2012, pre retina but hi res.

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The model number (A1***, most likely A1297) can be found on the bottom plate, near the display hinge.

It should be possible to order the original foot replacement DIY kit by mail, simply by contacting Apple customer support. Hope it works this way in the UK too :)

3. forgetcolor macrumors member

i had two feet break and fall off my 2010 MBP. had applecare. called them, they said no problem, we'll fix it. took it in, and was denied. they said they have to replace the bottom plate, that they can't give me new feet, and that it wasn't covered. (this was my only attempt to use applecare at this point). They wanted $140 for the part alone.

I ended up breaking the other two feet off myself, then cutting furniture felt pads to fit in the little impressions. I almost like it more than the originals functionwise; aesthetically it's a fail.

Hopefully you can get the feet these days. This was in 2012. USA.

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, it's actually A1286

----------

Well I assume you must be able to as the link I posted was from the apple site telling you how to replace them :confused:

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

One of my rubber foots just fell off, this is on a 2010 MBP outside of AC.

Does anyone know how much one of those kits cost? I'll call an Apple store later on and see how much they charge for replacement.

I know I can find other DIY remedies from Lowe's or something but I'd rather keep the original, especially if it's not that expensive.

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Just wanted to update this...

The Apple Store I normally go to said they can replace the foot for me. Didn't think to ask how much but I'm guessing it'll either be <$10 or free. I'd have to make a Genius Bar appointment and it would be done while I wait.