MacBook Pro Feet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Jan 24, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Just a quick one - does the MacBook Pro have feet underneath it to protect the bottom from scratches, and if so, are they effective?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The MacBook Pro has feet but their main purpose is to provide more airflow for cooling.

It does prevent scratches on the bottom though. ;)

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Has little rubber/plastic feet. If it scratches it scratches. Its the bottom, unless you use your laptop in a way I would like to see. :p

4. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol, ok guys, thanks.

I'm just going to be taking my laptop around with me a lot to gigs etc. and placing it on music/keyboard stands, so as it's cost me a lot of money I'd like to keep it as pristine as possible for as long as possible!

I'm going to cover the metal arms it'll stand on with felt to try and protect it. I've also ordered one of the Belkin Messenger bags for it. Is there anything else anyone would suggest to help prevent scratches etc.? I don't really like the sleeves and things because they usually spoil the look...

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, I'll take a look...I'm not really bothered about anything but the underside, which is probably stupid as I'll barely see it anyway!

I wonder if anyone does just a "shell" for the underneath, which would remain invisible? Because I agree, most of these things do change the way the computer looks (for the worse).

8. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I use the bottom case only for the traveling bit. I do 95% travel with my job. When I have to go to the airport and toss my laptop in the security bin it comes in handy. I hate the idea of my laptop being thrown in the bin getting tossed around.

If you want keyboard protection get the iskin. Some people say it conflicts with the airflow of the macbook pro. I used to be anal about my macbook pro but got over it.

9. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point about the airport - what about one of those neoprene sleeves, would you be able to put it through security just in that?

I'll only be taking it gigging 1/2 times a week, so maybe just an invisible bottom "skin" that's EASY/quick to remove/reapply, would be the best bet. Can anyone recommend one, as you've said the one above is difficult to take off?

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Unfortunately the laptop has to be in the bin by itself. And from what I have learned don't test the TSA people cause they are a PITA anyway.

Just dont remove it. It doesn't really cause an issue.

11. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fair enough. I'll just keep the bottom part on then I reckon, as long as it's unobtrusive.

So, the Speck one you suggested - do you have the clear one? If so, is it almost invisible? I guess it covers the palmrest/around the keyboard too, as well as the whole of the bottom?

And, with it being plastic, does it add much bulk/weight to the machine?

Thanks.

12. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

it doesn't cover the palm rest, just the sides and bottom of the laptop. Its not very visible unless you look for it.

There are other way of protection. Just google for it. And with it being plastic no it doesn't add much weight.

http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/Apple-Laptop-Products

That site has some protection stuff to.

13. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I normally store mine in a stretchy microfiber sleeve when traveling. The TSA has had no issues with it so far. Mine is from Radtech.us, but lots of companies make them.

You may want to check the reviews of the Speck case in the Apple store. The consensus seems to be that it scratches the object it's protecting.

14. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

You must've had nice TSA people. I always get the anal ones that make me step in the booth to get air blown all over me. And I've had them ask me to boot up my computer before.

15. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the help, I'll do some research on the skin-type cases and use one permanently for the bottom. I may also get a neoprene case, just in case an airport would let it through.

16. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i have the speck case and i only put on the lower portion on. Who sees that part anyway? Protects it while its on my lap. My belt scratches the lower speck case so all of that has been avoided.

17. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Make sure you do get a cover that goes between the LCD and keyboard when you close it. Just to prevent any keys from pressing against your screen.

18. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's just the sides/front/back (of the bottom) that would be visible, but I guess not much.

Do you find the Speck has scratched the surface(s) of your MB?

19. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I don't have any scratches. And if I get any oh well, thats life. I understand you want to protect your laptop but don't go overboard. Cause the day you get a scratch or dent you will freak out. And honestly, the people that baby their machines more tend to have issues happen to theirs.

20. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I think they were too busy freaking out over the Nikon D2X and lens collection I was boarding with to care much about the computer. Gawd I hate flying...

21. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I know what you're saying. And, ironically, when there are a couple of scratches on it, that's the time when you're not all that bothered if it gets a couple more!

I think I'll see what it's like, in the environments I'll be using it in. If it looks like it's going to look terrible a year+ down the line, I'll invest in some protection then. But for now, I may just stick with my Belkin Messenger bag (and maybe a neoprene sleeve in case I need to chuck it in a bag with other things).

22. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

23. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I have heard issues with the area around the CD drive flexing and marring the aluminum finish. I have not noticed any yet, nor have the clips holding the sides scratching the finish either.

i could take a picture of the underside of the case though, its scratched up.

24. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Battle wounds. :D