Macbook Pro fell, impact, WIFI now broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Oct 5, 2011.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

My 2009 MBP fell about a foot and landed on its side. The computer still works but I keep getting told that there is no Airport Card installed. I understand that the wifi is part of the motherboard. Is it possible that the Airport card was simply unplugged, or is it most likely broken completely? I'm buying a wireless adapter card but wanted to see if it's possible to fix it as no wifi makes it tough to get around!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Have obviously

Knocked, some thing loose but it's hard soldered to the main board, not a job you can really tackle yourself. If you have applecare take it back. If not get it looked at by Apple or an official Apple repair shop. It might not be as expensive as you think to get it fixed.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Are the '09's different than the new ones? In the new models the airport card is separate and could have easily been knocked out.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm Pretty Sure

An '09 has the chip hard soldered, but will investigate further,

----------

This table explains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook#Model_specifications

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

The Airport card is not soldered to anything. It's in the display clutch. First thing you want to do is make sure the cable from it, to the logic board is seated.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Optical-Drive-Replacement/1728/3

There is the cable. They call it the camera cable but the Airport card runs through this as well. Reseat carefully. If it still doesn't work, it may have come loose on the other end which is a lot more difficult to get to and you're probably not capable of checking.

6. blackranger3d macrumors newbie

The question isn't whether it is fixable. The question is whether you trust your self to open it to try and fix it.

If you've built computers / mucked around inside of laptops before give it a go.
    If you have not done any of the above, I would suggest you have someone more experienced do it.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

8. nicklad, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

nicklad macrumors 6502

http://www.gomacpro.com/unibody-macbook-pro-airport-extreme-card-661-4766/

As far as I know, the wireless card stayed the same from the Late-2008 until Mid-2009 revision MacBook Pros with the BCM4322.

The card changed with the Mid-2010 MacBook Pros, and then again with the Early-2011 revision.

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

For the second time, it's not soldered. I am an ACMT and I work on these things daily. Believe me, it's not soldered.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Good News

For the OP