MacBook Pro fell off desk, shell damaged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nor*Cal, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Nor*Cal macrumors regular

My MBP was sitting on my desk charging, and unknowingly I walked by and tripped over the cord. The Magsafe charger did not disconnect and sent my computer to the floor. I now have a dent as to where the adapter was pushed into the shell of the computer, the magsafe port was also pushed in.

Thankfully everything still works with the computer. I am not expecting this to be covered by Apple, but my limited warranty expires in June of 2008 and I have not bought apple care. I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to how much it would cost to have apple replace the outer shell and realign the magsafe port.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Tell them that the magsafe didn't break away and they might just have pity.

But almost certainly not. Expect $200+ bill.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it was some places...

Replace logic board and lower case = expensive

Don't expect anything under $250-300 for 1 part of the case alone, and the logic board will make you really hurt.

4. 6mt15 macrumors member

If everything is working fine, it doesn't sound like you will need to have the logic board replaced. However, just in case things do start to get funky, I spilled a drink on my MBP last summer, and for just a logic board replacement alone, it was $1200. I just bought a MB and tried to forget I ever owned its bigger better cousin.

5. thinkband macrumors regular

Ouch, bad luck my friend.

I bet you can try to get them to fix it for free if you explain that Magsafe did not work. Maybe say you will sue them, or write a personal note to Steve ;)

Good luck with the outcome

6. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

If that's any comfort regarding price of your repair: my brother fell on the ice with his MBP in his backpack >> screen cracks

Replacement cost for new screen and installation by cert. Apple repair center...:

:eek: US$1450... :eek:

7. JWest macrumors 6502

That's strange. How did it not break away? Those things pop off so easily! Very curious. Anyway, I'd tell them that it didn't work as advertised and that they ought to fix it. That's just me though.

8. Nor*Cal thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, it even stayed on after it hit the ground! The one time I needed that thing to come off, it didn't... :(

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Sounds like you're out of luck. But on the bright side, it could have been much worse. If your screen and CPU are intact, the computer's usable. Keep going, and wear it like a battle scar!

10. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

ouch, my heart always get stabbed when i hear about MBP or MB falling from places even if it's not mine, bad luck my friend =(

try running various softwares to see if any of the performance gets affected

but if you say everything is fine, then you're really lucky man. just use it as usual

11. Norco macrumors regular

Did he try seeing if he could just buy the LCD screen off ebay or somewhere? I replaced the LCD screen in a Dell laptop a few years ago with a screen I got off ebay, saved some money.

12. Iced Angel macrumors regular

It happened to me too ... My MBP just fell hardly on the ground and now there is a bump on the clamshell (the top cover under the apple logo)

everything else is working just fine... it's just that ugly bump that is bothering me.

Do they replace just the clamshell Or they are going to replace the screen and hinge and everything? anybody knows how much they would charge for this?

GRRRRRRRRRRR :(

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Go to an authorized service center and get it repaired. A thing of beauty like a MacBook Pro deserves to be kept that way.

$200-$300.

14. Iced Angel macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I agree ... they definitely deserve it... I've been a soulless monster :(

Do u know any of those authorized center?? There is none in my area. I've heard about iFixit.com many times but I prefer a local service center. there is one in my school but they don't fix apple's products :(