Macbook pro - firewire target mode problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h2009, Aug 22, 2008.

1. h2009 macrumors member

Hi there i've got a macbook pro intel chip (1st gen), when i press T at startup the firewire symbol comes up moving around the screen.

I'm trying to connect a Maxtor 750GB onetouch 4 plus.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What are you trying to do? Target disk mode makes your laptop behave like a firewire hard drive. You connect it to another Mac. It's got nothing to do with attaching a hard drive to it.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't use Target disk mode often but I'm fairly certain its only to allow your machine to be used as a firewire disk.

What exactly are you trying to do?

If you wish to boot from it, just hold down the option key (assuming you have an OS on the drive).

4. h2009 thread starter macrumors member

Im trying to copy the whole HDD to my firewire HDD (which is blank) so that i install a new HDD.
    I've made a timemachine on another drive but i just want a firewire copy of everything just incase.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then you need to use some software to do that. It has absolutely nothing to do with Target Disk Mode. I suggest Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!, either of which can clone your existing boot drive to a new drive. I've personally used SuperDuper! for exactly this purpose, as well as for taking periodical backups.

6. MWillis561 macrumors member

MWillis561

Disk Utility also has a built in function to do that. It takes a while but makes an exact copy of your hard drive.

7. kyleaa macrumors regular

You could also boot the mac in target disk mode, and connect it and the external to another Mac and do the transfer from there... I am not sure why you need target disk mode in the equation though.

8. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

Doesn't seem like you need target disk mode. I would invest in SuperDuper, it's the best out there, or at least one of the best!