Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, we noted that users of Apple's current MacBook Pro attempting to install third-party 6.0 Gb/s SATA 3.0 solid-state drives had been experiencing performance issues apparently related to interference issues between cables inside the chassis. The issue was said to primarily affect 17-inch models of the MacBook Pro.

mbp_lineup_early_2011.jpg

While Other World Computing (OWC) had developed a cable shielding kit to attempt to address the issue, it now appears that the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.2 released yesterday officially addresses the problem. OWC has tested several systems with the update and found a marked improvement in performance.
Our testing has included multiple models of the 2011 MacBook Pro models and using the highest performing OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G and Mercury Electra 6G SSDs. From this testing, we are confident today that Apple has now, by and large, resolved the issues with 6Gb/s drives where issues were being experienced with said drives in the Main Bay/standard drive location.
OWC cautions that the update does not improve performance of 6.0 Gb/s SATA drives used in the MacBook Pro's optical bay.

Article Link: MacBook Pro Firmware Update Addresses SATA 3.0 Drive Performance Issues

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
Finally! Mine has been working since the beginning though. I really hope this resolves any issues with the SATA 6G performance in the 17" MBP.

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Finally! Now we need a fix for the mid-'09 MacBook Pros! SATA II doesn't work there!!??

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Finally! Now we need a fix for the mid-'09 MacBook Pros! SATA II doesn't work there!!??

YES PLEASE!!! If Apple fixes this that'll make my day, I hate only having 1.5Gbps speed instead of 3.0Gbps! I'm going to give Apple this as feedback and cross my fingers.:D

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
This didn't do ANYTHING for my SSD problems... still beach balls... :( aw well. Guess I'll be waiting for some unheard SSD firmware update.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Where the hell is TRIM support for 3rd party/non-crappy apple branded SSD drives?

They'll patch this, something that affects some users, but they wont fix TRIM, something that affects ALL users?! Where are Apple's priorities???

fredfnord

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Mid-'09 MacBook Pro 15"

Just a word to the wise: I fitted a OCZ Vertex 3 into my mid-'09 MBP and have been getting sustained read/write speeds of 200 megabytes per second. So far I have had exactly one read error that I know of, and my machine has not become any flakier than it was before this. (Actually a lot less, since this replaced a failing hard drive.)

What did I do? I wrapped both the Vertex 3 and the cable connecting it to the motherboard carefully in aluminum foil, and made sure the foil was grounded to the aluminum case of the computer (but of course not shorting anything out.)

Your mileage may vary, of course. But this appears to work at least sometimes.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
First: WOOHOO! Not that 250MB/s was exactly slow, but it's sure nice to see the full 480MB/s+ speeds on my 17".

What did I do? I wrapped both the Vertex 3 and the cable connecting it to the motherboard carefully in aluminum foil, and made sure the foil was grounded to the aluminum case of the computer (but of course not shorting anything out.)
OWC tested the living crap out of foil shielding, and actually sells a kit of sticky foil cut to size for the cable. And, based on their extensive testing and a lot of user feedback, the foil helps in some cases, and does little or nothing in others. And, of course, some people don't have any problems at all.

Although, at only 200MB/s are you sure your drive is even running in SATAIII 6G mode? That's less than you'd expect for SATAII 3G, either because you've got it on a 3G optical bay port (most are) or because the drive is only running in 3G mode.

I'm in the relatively large camp of people for whom the foil didn't do anything useful, and this firmware update has completely fixed the problem. Took long enough, but better late than never.

This didn't do ANYTHING for my SSD problems... still beach balls... :( aw well. Guess I'll be waiting for some unheard SSD firmware update.
Are you running your SSD on a 6G optical bay port? Those, apparently, are still flakey unless limited to 3G speeds. If not, and unless it turns out there are a few cases where the firmware update doesn't fix things, I'd be inclined to think there's actually something wrong with your SSD. Wouldn't hurt to have it sent in for service, just in case.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Although, at only 200MB/s are you sure your drive is even running in SATAIII 6G mode? That's less than you'd expect for SATAII 3G, either because you've got it on a 3G optical bay port (most are) or because the drive is only running in 3G mode.

He has an 09 MBP

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007

It is a strange problem.... i don't have it. Check if the SSD is in the right port and update SSD firmware. All my nerd friends (me too) have SSD on their macs without these issues.
And forget TRIM, modern SSD doesn't need it.

mjohnson1212

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
This appears to fix my issues with using an OWC 6G 240g SSD in my 2011 17" MBP.

No beach balls or hanging so far.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Second Gen i7, ATI/AMD GPU and SATA 3.0 make me so envious of the latest pros.

However Ivy Bridge, next year will provide (hopefully) USB 3.0 standard, i know i know, thunderbolt is great, but USB is not going anywhere any time soon.

With a much better integrated GPU this means less reliance on the main GPU which will save lots of power when not in work mode.

Not to mention more efficient processors that allow for faster work at lower energy rates.

Oh and pros can already handle 16GB RAM, so you know your set for a long time! :cool:

Bunker

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007

I assume SATA II = 3gbps connection. If so, SATA II works on the optibay for mid-09 MBP. I am having one.

To share my experience with the optibay:

1. Transfer the STOCK HDD (Toshiba unit) to optibay. System info says Link Speed = 3.0gbps, negotiated speed = 1.5gbps. :confused:

2. Ditched the Toshiba unit, bought a Hitachi 500GB, install in optibay. Link Speed and negotiated speed = 3.0gbps.

Seems like the drive that came with our mid 2009 MBPs are not capable for SATA 2.

You might want to have a swap and check.

----------

YES PLEASE!!! If Apple fixes this that'll make my day, I hate only having 1.5Gbps speed instead of 3.0Gbps! I'm going to give Apple this as feedback and cross my fingers.:D

Check my previous feedback above.

fogma

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
NZ
Works for me.

At last I put my Vertex3 back in my 17''2011 MBP. After having constant beach balls previously, I ended up going back to the 5400rpm 750Gb drive it shipped with. So clean zero format and install today with new firmware, its flying with 490mb/sec read writes with AJA. Thanks for the 6month wait Apple:eek:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
What? Have the laws of electromagnetics changed recently? Because if not, TRIM is very much still needed.

If the SSD can blank out sectors which contain "deleted" data by itself, why would you want to waste CPU cycles getting the OS to do it?

soch

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
portland
Not an issue on 15" early 2011 MBP models.

Won't be able to install the firmware on 15" early 2011 MBP models.

I have Intel SSD working fine at 6Gbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.