Macbook Pro flashing folder on startup (OWC 6g ssd)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJB Productions, May 10, 2012.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I recently installed the OWC data doubler in my early 2011 Macbook Pro with a 6g SSD. I installed the SSD in the main hard drive bay due to some issues doing it the other way that I read about.

However, apps have been crashing constantly, and my computer has been freezing. Today, it froze again and now it won't even start up.

I get the blinking folder on startup. If I hold down option on startup, the SSD shows up as my startup disk, but even when I select it, I just end up getting the blinking folder or where the Apple logo normally is, just a big X.

Thoughts? I did a little searching but didn't find any answers...

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I would try reinstalling OSX. Seems like something is missing.

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah. Well I figured out what happened. I made the huge mistake of installing the TRIM support patch after reading about installing it on CNET. (@!#$%^ you, CNET) So that basically replaced the kernel and killed the SSD. I can't even back it up now.

If I do a reinstall via the Lion network restore, will it keep my system files? Apps etc?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Have you tried holding the shift key down during boot? This should bring it up in Safe Mode. Then I'd run Disk Utility to repair the disk and permissions.

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Judging what you`ve been experiencing, go ahead with the fresh install and individual restore files (music, etc). I`m not 100% sure on what would happen if you restore your apps from a backup (from time machine?).

There could also be directory issues with your the contents on your hdd. Consider running diskwarrior if just to check if you are willing to buy it.

http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/details3.html