Macbook Pro Flashing Sleep Light

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chaostik, May 29, 2008.

1. chaostik macrumors newbie

When I turn on my Macbook Pro (summer 07 version) I get a white screen, but the Apple logo doesn't appear and instead the speakers make a clicking noise, then the sleep light flashes three times quickly, pauses, flashes three times quickly, pauses etc.

Does anyone know what this means?

I bought it in the UK from an Apple retail store, but am living in Ireland now. How do I get it fixed? It's still in warrenty. There are no :apple: retail stores here.

Thanks,

L

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

Hi there. This sounds like a serious hardware problem. Insert your OS X installation DVD. To do this, you'll need to turn on the computer and then insert it. You'll probably then need to turn the computer off (hold the power button) and then turn it back on (now with the DVD inside the drive). After you hear the chime, press and hold the "C" key. This will attempt to boot the drive from the DVD. If you actually see something on the screen and the installer begins, that's good.

You can then reinstall OS X (NOTE! look for an "options" or "customize" button and choose "Archive and Install") so you don't lose your data. This will backup all your data to a folder so you can access it on the fresh system.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like a major hardware failure and you'll need to call Apple to try advanced trouble shooting and/or begin the repair procedure. They will refer you to local Apple-authorized repair centres, or you will mail it to them for repair.