MacBook Pro Flickers Blue For External Monitor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tvick47, Nov 4, 2010.

1. tvick47 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a MacBook Pro 17", and whenever I try to connect it to my external HP 2709m monitor after I wake my machine from sleep, the screen on the MacBook Pro just does quick flickers of a blue screen. I know that when a display is normally connected all the screens FADE blue and then fade back to the display, however this is very non-smooth flickering that just happens on the MacBook Pro monitor, while the external monitor shows no response.
    I'm using an HDMI connection to the monitor, with a Belkin HDMI to Mini DP adapter that has worked with three other Macs.
    I have also used the monitor with other Macs as well with the same cables, adapters, and everything except for the MacBook Pro itself.

In addition to this, my MacBook Pro is a direct Time Machine restore of my old iMac, so no configuration files should be different from before and everything was fine with the iMac.

The external monitor will work correctly after I restart my computer, but I wish I could just simply plug in the display and wake my computer and have it work, since my computer is almost always just in sleep and not powered off all of the way.

Please tell me whats wrong and what I can do to fix this, thanks.

2. tvick47 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bumpage... I called Apple today and described my problem. They said it was normal to have to restart the computer when connecting a display. I used to have a 15" and I don't believe that was ever a problem. Is what they're telling me bogus?

Should I actually get this checked out or what?

Thanks

3. michaelaye macrumors newbie

michaelaye

i would think it's bogus.
    Have used my 15 inch MBP for 2 years via the DVI connection and never ever had to reboot to make it work!

BR,
    Michael