Macbook Pro Font Smoothing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeff_siler, Nov 13, 2007.

?

What Font Smoothing Setting Do You Use On Your Macbook Pro?

1. Standard

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Light

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Medium (Automatic)

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. Strong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I recently received a 17" High Res Macbook Pro and am loving the screen real estate, but am having difficulty with the font smoothing.

I use windows at work/school and am having a hard time getting used to the font smoothing on OSX. I think I should just pick a setting and continue to use it until I am used to it.

What do you guys/gals use for your default font smoothing setting on your Macbook Pro's?

Standard, Light, Medium (Automatic), or Strong?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

15.4" model and I have the standard option selected.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Based on comments I've read from other people (any my own experience), it seems to very much be a matter of taste--longtime Windows users have trouble with the MacOS smoothing, while longterm Mac users (myself) can't stand the Windows smoothing.

So you've probably got the right idea to just leave it for a while and let your brain adjust, but here's what I'd suggest: Try each for a day or two, and see which "feels" the best. And just to be sure, restart after each switch to make sure it's being used systemwide.

4. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool,

Right now its a split between the "light" setting and the "automatic, medium" setting".

Actually, I noticed a decent improvement after calibrating my Color Profile to 2.2 gamma.

Has anyone else noticed this?

jeff

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Huh. Must just be another factor of what gives you the visual "feel" you're comfortable with. Obviously you can set the gamma to whatever you want, and 2.2 is what you were probably using on Windows, but I expect most Mac users stick with the Mac standard of 1.8.

I'm certainly happy with it--in fact, I took a quick look, and text looks too "heavy" with 2.2 gamma to my eyes.

Again, I expect it's largely a matter of what you're used to.

6. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah after about an hour I did notice that 2.2 made the text heavy.

I think I'm going to stick to Automatic for awhile. I'ts still a bit blurry to me but I hope I get used to it.

The 17" is such a great machine!

Jeff