Macbook Pro for $900

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dingdongbubble, Jun 25, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Hi

I can buy a Macbook Pro for $900. Its a 15.4" 2.16Ghz one. Do you think $900 sounds fishy? It seems to be too low, right?

As I have never bought a used computer and also never bought a Mac, can you please give me some links to give me some precautionary measures and any other important things?

It comes with the disks and the person has shown me 4 pictures of it.

Please help me.

2. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Proceed with caution. meet in person in a public place and bring someone with you. do not do anything over mail because you could easily get screwed.

3. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

where are you buying this from?

don't give money overseas or by anything other than in person or paypal!

4. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleCare

It is covred by AppleCare. How do I find out if the system is alright? And how do I find out the validity of the AppleCare?

As it is not an auction I will be meeting in person as the person has accepted.

If anything DOES go wrong then plz tell me what to do.

And doesnt $900 seem too little?

5. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Canada

I am in the UAE but the laptop is in Canada. My cousin will be carrying out the deal for me.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

7. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

???

Whats that supposed to mean? I am not good with idioms I guess if thats what you meant.

Now can someone help me please?:confused:

8. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Boys?

Hey boys are you there? Please dont feel jealous. This will be my first Mac so I want it to be a good experience or I will stick t Windows.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You asked if it sounded fishy, and a trout is a fish. :eek:

Especially if Apple is still selling the refurb MacBook Pro 2.16 for $1599.

10. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol

LOL alright didnt get it at first. Anyways so you think that something is either seriously wrong with the MBP or this is a scam or somethign unknown is going on.

So should I let this go(thats very hard)? How should I tackle this situation? What should I first do? I have figured out that:
    I will run Techtools or whatever they are called and check if the MBP runs properly.
    Then I will check all the disks for if they are working.
    Then I will check if there is any cosmetic damage.
    Then I will check if the Applecare is genuine.
    Then I will check if the battery is alright and the charger too.
    I will check if the isight works.
    Take the MBP to an Apple Store and make them run a check.
    Finally write down the guys dress to beat him up if something goes wrong.:D

Anything else? Please help someone.

11. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

It could be a CD that was rather used, too. I would check to make sure that all the hardware (battery/charger/iSight/etc) works before checking for cosmetic damage.

You may want to write down this fellows address if he's wearing a dress too, maybe ask him why he's wearing one. Better ventilation in summer?

12. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Seriously, the problem is probably not that its broken or anything. Any idiot can open it check the specs and run techtools. I think that its stolen. Make sure you do a check for that. I don't know where but apple has a website where you can enter the computer's serial and find out where/how registered it.

13. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

14. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I also suspect that it may be stolen...

And now for are recap and some more fish metaphores:

Sound fishy?
    I think you got a trout.
    How should I tackle this situation?
    Beware of a bait and switch.
    You may want to throw this one back.

:rolleyes:

15. tehdee macrumors member

if the seller's canadian, dont worry about a thing! were peace-loving, friendly, pacifistic folk.... no one's trying to rip you off..:D

16. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Ask for the serial number now before you meet. I do this often, and I tell them "so I can look it up on Apple and find the specs for myself". You can call Apple on it, I've done it before.

And bring about 3 buddies with you when you meet "just in case" ;)

17. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Yes, this definitely sounds questionable. Check the machine out (just as you said), ask for the story behind it (catch 'em in a lie), verify the serial with Apple, also with PowerMax ( http://www.powermax.com/cgi-bin/sn_browse.cgi ). Then still proceed with caution.

18. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can someone tell me the website where I can put in the serial number?

I found a website which tells you the model and all that of the Mac but I need Apple's website so that I can check if the Mac is stolen.

OK got it before I could ask!:)

The guy is in Georgia but I think he is coming back to Canada. He is asking for a WEstern Union money transfer.

I red on craiglist that these two things are clear indicators of a scam.:mad:

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I think you are right.

Sorry, I think it's best to let this one get away (to continue the bad fishing puns).

20. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Serial

LOL

I think you are right, I should let this one go. WHY are Macs so darn expensive GRRRRRR

The last things I am going to do are
    wait for him to send the serial number
    Accept in person cash payment
    Come and meet in person.

:D :D :D

21. mikehokie macrumors regular

Don't pay in cash. It is an unidentifiable way for transactions and the union thing he wants to do sounds like he might try to identity theft you. I would just let this go seeing as the computer is stolen and if YOU are caught with it and try to tell the story that you bought it from someone else the police aren't going to buy that because he is using an untraceable means.

Meet him, ask him straight up questions and then tell him the deal is off. He may try to pull a gun or knife on you so have some friends with you or the police.

22. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Are you a moron? Of course this is stolen or broken or this guy is just trying to screw you over. That classic saying if something seems to good to be true, it usually is, applies equally to computers. Do you think he is just trying to be a pal and offer you a good deal? If that's the case, you should have your head examined.

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK: Here is a general rule.

If it is on Craigslist, and the seller does not live in the local community of the Craigslist, then IT IS A SCAM.

The only reason for someone outside of your town to advertise on your local Craigslist is to scam someone. You'll find that the same person is advertising the same 'MacBook' in mayby 50 different towns. On your brother's Craigslist, he will be from Georgia but will ship to your town or will be visiting, just send the money in advance. In Georgia Craigslists, he'll say he is from New York and can ship it no charge to Georgia.

They will all have some story about how you can send the money securely and you will be guaranteed to get the machine, typically "once you receive the machine, then you give a password to Western Union to release the funds" - This is a lie. There is no protection this way,

24. wongulous macrumors 6502a

If it makes you feel any better, we all have to pay the higher price/value of a Mac or any Apple product... but you're also getting what you pay for. This is no bottom-of-the-barrel Dell or eMachines with no residual value. Buy a $2500 laptop now, it'll still be worth $1500-2000 in 6-12 months.

Please don't get caught in a scam. Western Unions are big no-nos, non-local people are big no-nos, and this is a very questionable price. It's probably not even stolen, it likely doesn't exist.