Macbook pro for air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Derekuda, May 31, 2012.

1. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Im thinking of selling my 2009 13" macbook Pro for a new 11" macbook air. Does anyone think thats a bad move? I don't really play games, i use it more for programming and web dev.
    Also, how much do you think i could get for a my macbook?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As long as you can live within the constraints of the MBA, its not a bad move.

Only you can determine whether its a good or bad move.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I would think web development would be tough on an 11" screen. If you are going to use an external monitor then I think you'll be fine.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

One of the main considerations would be to give the display size the proper amount of thought.

I bought both an 11" & 13" primarily for travel and moderate work, as I simply could not decide without using them in my normal day to day environment. Within a week the newness had worn off, and I quickly realized the 11" was simply too small.

In addition in a side by side comparison, the 13" is simply not that much larger or heavier to carry, and the screen size is well worth it.

(I've never sold a mac so I have no clue about resale prices)

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I'm a web designer/coder by night (I.T. Manager by day), my opinion is that the Air can do what you need but I would highly recommend the 13" for the extra screen real estate.

6. Newfiebill macrumors regular

Newfiebill

Graig's List

I always check craigs list in my area for the going prices of used Apple products. You will get an excellent idea of a realistic asking price by shopping around for one.

7. chris14465 macrumors newbie

Funny fact: the resolution of the 11 inch Macbook Air (1366x768) is higher than the resolution of the MacBook Pro 13 inch (1280x800), so you would have even more space.
    The screen size would only matter if you have problems with your eyes.

8. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

I'm not entirely convinced about your bullet point.
    While the resolution is indeed higher, the amount of space available isn't really.
    Just going on from your opinion, you could suggest to use a 9.7" iPad 3, as its resolution (2048x1536) is a lot higher than the Macbook Air. Heck, even if you combine the amount of pixels from the Macbook Air and the Macbook Pro, you just lose from the iPad point-of-view. But only just.

No, more pixels does not equal more space to work with. It just means everything is sharper or smaller. Even I can just zoom out to 90% of my normal text size to get more work space. But did I need extra pixels to do so? No.

That's my opinion. :)

9. chris14465 macrumors newbie

This is just for retina devices. Since Mac OS X's Cocoa Interface has the same graphics on every device, you should have indeed more space.

10. bogatyr macrumors 65816

More resolution = more screen real estate at the same DPI
    More resolution = better sharpness at a higher DPI (i.e. iPad 3 / iPhone 4/4s)

It depends on your DPI settings. Most people don't adjust it so yes, it is more working space.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MacBook Air will be faster in CPU tasks, and 13" MacBook Air has a higher resolution display than the 13" MacBook Pro. If you didn't have an SSD before, you'll see the boot performance and day-to-day usage to be very good.

RAM cannot be upgraded as it's soldered so make sure you get the 4GB installation.