Macbook Pro for an Mechanical Engineering Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dkimxd, Aug 11, 2008.

1. dkimxd macrumors member

Does anyone have any experience in running Autodesk Inventor and ProE on a Macbook pro? I am very set on buying a Macbook Pro 15" and was wondering if the base model will be enough to run both programs smoothly. If the MBP 15" is not good enough for the programs, are there any recommendations as to which laptop may be better suited for me and my major?

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Hardware should be up to it but there is no Mac OS version for either program so you'd be better off with a suitable Windows notebook.

3. dkimxd thread starter macrumors member

i'll be running windows off bootcamp for those programs

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

To me, the major concern would be the screen size. CAD/CAM really does work better on larger real estate. If you must use a laptop, you might seriously consider opting for a separate monitor. A full keyboard, and even a tablet may be in order as well. ;)

Good luck! :)

5. indie1982 macrumors newbie

TBH I'd either got for a 17" with the HD screen 1920 x 1200 or wait a month or so and see what new products Apple release. You never know there might be a 15" model with a 1920 x 1200 screen.

6. dkimxd thread starter macrumors member

so basically look into a bigger screen? but the hardware is ok for the programs? How much would a comparable laptop of screen size and performance cost if it is windows based (dell, HP, etc...)?

7. Goldenbear macrumors regular

It all comes down to how much you'll be using the programs and the complexity of the models/assemblies.

For school work, I'd say you'll be just fine with the 15" MBP. Not ideal for extended use, but I doubt you'll be using it 8 hrs/day, 40 hr/wk.

Of course, there are always those who can't stand even a 0.0005 sec delay and need two 30" displays. If you're one of those people, avoid the MBP.

Personally, I've found the you have a much greater performance hit with the POS Intralink hack-job than anything else. Don't get too worked up about the hardware at this point, 'cause the cr@ppy software just won't run well on anything you can afford on a student's income.