Macbook pro for artistic usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hecatic, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hecatic macrumors newbie

Hello i am thinkin of buying a new macbook pro when there is new release

I will be mostly using the laptop for photoshop for digital painting and possibly some 3D programs. I will probably edit some photos because i also enjoy using my dslr camera.

So i want to know what adventage is really there for using macs for use of graphics/art? Just better and precise colors or better in performance wise?

Is MBP 17 inch good for me?

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You just don't have to put up with general windows crap. Should be reason enough for anyone. 17" MBP is a beast - you'll have no issues with power.

3. Hecatic thread starter macrumors newbie

So getting 17inch mbp isnt a bad idea?

4. Bear macrumors G3

It would work well for you for photography. I would recommend the antiglare screen option as it's easier on the eyes for editing.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Is it your first mac? If it is then as long as you're genuinely interested in the OS and such an elegant machine, then it'll be a purchase to be proud of. It's just that some people that haven't owned a mac cannot get their head around people buying them. You have to want it - don't buy it just for the specs.

If it's not your first one then the above won't apply to you. If you're already set on buying a mac and wondering if it will suffice, it absolutely will.

6. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

its a beast though

It would be like carrying a cafeteria tray with you everywhere

7. Hecatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it is my first own mac, but it is not my first time using mac. I have used various OSes like various distributions of linux and of course, windows. I think that macs are pretty fast regardless of the specs though. It seems macs are optimized for hardware and not much of a lag when opening an application / working with them also. So my thoughts were, if the applications i will be running wont be choppy, mac would be the best for me.

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just to let you know, the majority of good design and anything related to it is generally done on Macs.

The biggest clientele for Apple was, in fact, artists and designers.

OS X is user friendly and just nice overall. Not saying you can't do the same things under Windows, but generally, the polished OS and MacBook Pro design helps you get things done.

9. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Funny...but ah...not quite.

10. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

i just figured it would be like "everybody watch out i'm gonna move the computer"

11. hypermog macrumors regular

Unless you're loaded, there's no need to buy a brand new computer.

12. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

i agree with that

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Except it's hardly uncommon for the first world to get something purely because we want it.

14. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

For your use I would go with a 15" MBP and a good quality external display. Best of both worlds...

The 17" is too large and expensive. Its display is no match for an IPS panel from a quality company such as NEC.