MacBook Pro for college

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macforcollege, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Macforcollege, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

Macforcollege macrumors member

I will be attending college late August this year and I'm in a bind. I have never owned a mac but would like to get a 15' rMBP latest version. I am struggling to decide whether or not to wait for the haswell processors or to just buy one now. My college will be giving us laptops that are pretty basic that have our business programs on them but I want a more powerful computer for every day use. I do have an iPad 4 and was wondering how hard it would be to use that until I could get a haswell rmbp. If I were to use my iPad what accessories and applications would be recommended to be able to manage without the MacBook Pro until it is updated.

Thanks,

Connor

2. Buckaye macrumors member

one note is great... it does a really good job of organizing your notes etc.

Pages, number etc can at least make it so you can do papers etc.

In the end... it could be a while for the update, but since the school gives you a laptop, you should be ok.

3. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

There isn't much of a point waiting for Haswell when it comes to the 15'' rMBP when it comes to battery life, there shall only be a 1-2 hour boost if that. A lot of rumors about if it shall only include Iris Pro and no Dedicated GPU, etc. etc. But those are just rumors. If you want it now, get it now. The lastest I'm waiting is August. Since I don't own a laptop at all, and October is too long to wait for something that I'll need for school.

I say get it during the summer, you won't regret it~

4. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

I suggest you to put "rMPB", maybe 13 or 15 from latest version (feb 2013).
    becaue haswell maybe will coming on october (lates model 2013).

5. Voodoofreak, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

Voodoofreak macrumors regular

If you can wait until October, then I would recommend it as it won't affect your academically. You can then make a better choice on the two options....Oct 2012 vs March 2013 refresh.

6. Tasktest macrumors newbie

I'm in the same dilemma as OP. My problem is either to wait a few more months and spend more $$, or get a used mbpr high-end for about 2200+
    Any opinion?

7. Nive macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, I guess holding out is the better option if you're able to wait, hopefully the new models still have a dGPU. Then again you can always pick between the two when the new one comes out.

8. Macforcollege thread starter macrumors member

Would you recommend a 13 inch haswell pro or 15 inch haswell pro for college. I want a computer that will last all four years and be able to run the 24 inch hdmi asus monitor I purchased. Keep in mind I will be upgrading either laptop to its max specs.

Thanks,
    Connor

9. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Get the 13" for dragging to class. If you have a monitor back at your room you might as well go for the lighter option.

10. Macforcollege thread starter macrumors member

Will a 13 inch be powerful enough to run different coding applications as well as movies, Netflix, and my extra monitor at the same time? I want a desktop that I can carry around essentially.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I've done all of the above on my 13" from 2008 (4GB, 128GB SSD) and it handles them quite well.

12. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Yep, plenty powerful for that. For those activities the only reason to go 15" is if you wanted more screen space.