Macbook Pro for editing GoPro footage.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boatcapt, Dec 14, 2011.

1. boatcapt macrumors member

Would either of the Macbook Pro 15" models be sufficient to do some fairly simple editing of footage from a GoPro camera? I'm not doing any crazy video editing work, just some simple stuff to post video's up on Youtube for our fishing website. Will the 4GB of ram be enough to do what I want? Either way I will upgrade to 8 soon after I get it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

3. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

4. Acejam2k macrumors regular

You should be fine with 4GB RAM to start. Though adding more RAM never hurts, especially when editing video.

5. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

How about the difference in the 6750M and 6770M graphic cards? Not enough to worry about?

6. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Not a big difference at all. Any 15 Macbook pro will run it fine. Even the 2.0GHZ quad core from earlier this year. Heck, even the i7's or i5's from last year would do it fine.

7. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Not much to worry about for video editing. Applications such as Final Cut and iMovie use the CPU processing power to render video. This is the case with most video editing software.

There are technologies that do take advantage of GPU power, such as 3D gaming and certain types of graphic rendering.

8. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Ok heres a thought, can get a Imac and a 13" macbook pro or 13" macbook air for only a few hundred more. That would give me the bigger display at home and replace my dying 6 year old pc. I know the Imac would handle basic editing because it's just about the same specs as the 15" macbook pro, but how would the 13" macbook pro and air handle basic editing if I were on the road? Thanks for everyone's input.

9. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I have the 2011 MacBook Pro 13" and I edit my Contour HD videos in both iMovie and Final Cut Pro. For basic stuff, it works just fine. I haven't noticed any issues yet.

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

If you were going to go that route, Id say a 13" MacBook Pro for sure over the air. The added processor power would really help, as well as being able to upgrade your ram down the road. Going with the 13" and the iMac is a pretty good option. if you have the cash to do that, than thats what I would do.

11. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Well I went with the Macbook Pro 15". I decide to go this route and somewhere down the road get the new external 27" monitor. Then eventually get rid of my wifes HP and get her a Macbook Air.

12. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

13. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Looks good Rault, never messed with editing or anything so this is going to be new ground. But I liking the macbook so far just trying to figure things out.

14. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

im using just pretty basic stuff (imovie) but im trying to explore a little more now that I got a little tiny experience on it

One thing I just did tho was order ram (8gb) Im sure it ll help me a little bit

Imovie does great things for us noobs