macbook pro for gaming question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lord Farken, May 20, 2008.

1. Lord Farken macrumors member

I just start using my mac for gaming in boot camp with vista
    and is amazing how much this tiny devil can handle, like crysis run on it better than a friend one year old alienware, so since I am in army in Iraq ,it become my all in one entertainment machine on the go
    however I got a little problem every time I play big games that use a lot of power to run , even when the bat is full and connected it drain my bat little by little then when I quit the game it start to charge again ,what is going on the 85w of the ac power is not enough to handle the full use of the laptop it don't even power without the bat on , every other laptop that i have work on Ac only ,so going sacrifice a new bat to play games this will mess up my bat with time ,i check for a bigger ac power but no luck . it somebody know how to fix this???:(:confused::(

2. 1ncr3du10u5 macrumors member

Games will drain your battery very quickly though if you're connected to the mains that shouldn't be the case as my Macbook Pro retains the charge when I'm playing HL2 Pt2 and/or Quake Wars etc. You might want to try posting your problem on the Apple Discussions board too because that shouldn't be happening. You will have to register to post though you might find a solution from the problems already posted if you do a search. :)

3. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Thank you for your service. Be safe over there. When I was in the Army there wasnt a bloody war going on. Lucky me I guess.

Good luck.

Tom

4. wchong macrumors 6502

yea, like the post above me says. be safe over there.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The computer when running games like Crysis cannot get enough power from the AC adapter, so the way Apple does it is it uses the batteries to compensate for the additional power needed. Same reason why the computer multiplier decrease to 6x (200FSB x 6 = 1.2GHz) when you run the computer without the battery.

And God bless you and thanks!

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I had the same problem! I think its the crappy power over here. I went to the px and got a power inverter (the little black cone shaped ones they sell) and now I don't have that problem anymore because originally I was using the 220 (or whatever it is) power now its converted through 110.

Ok, just plugged it back into 220 and fired up portal for 15 min and indeed, teeny bit of battery drain. Back to 110 I go.

Hopefully that is the case for yours too.

EDIT: Also, when I was on R and R I noticed no battery drain either while playing games so Im convinced its the power.

7. operator207 macrumors 6502

I do not doubt the power over there is less stable than most other places. However the above posters are correct. If the draw is more than the AC power adapter can handle, it will pull from the battery. You may see an accelerated version of this because your at a location where power is fluctuating. Another user was pulling his battery out of his MBP because it would allow the laptop to keep cooler. He would get into playing a game, and the computer would shut off. He was experiencing the same over draw as you are seeing.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh Im not sure how I missed Alphaods post about the ac power. That does make 100% sense. I never played Crysis on mine only orange box (Portal) and COD4 so I may have very well been experiencing a different issue.

I don't really game on mine its all for programming, photoshop, maya, painter x (omg amazing program), lightroom and logic :D...and iChat

9. Lord Farken thread starter macrumors member

well thank

I try the 110v and still happen but maybe is because is generator power in about two week I be back in the states and then it work but still this very weird
    I am a electronic repair and pc guru and I can't figure out this one ,even crysis got a gage for the bat on the hud so you can know when is time to quit
    but I think this cause is the apple tiny power adapter 85w is not enough monitor+2.4ghz dual core at full power+gpu at full power=100+watt since apple don"t make a bigger one I guest that is up to me to make one
    I know this not a gaming pc but it happen this hardware perform better than other brand new gaming laptop that weight like hell and the bat last like 30min
    that why i love this one so tiny and yet so power full .I never goin to give up even if i have to keep buying bat in ebay:cool:

10. operator207 macrumors 6502

See if you can find a UPS over there, and plug it into that. Something of decent side 1000va should be big enough. It will give you a nice smooth power source, and then you will be able to see how much smoother power affects your MBP.

11. Lord Farken thread starter macrumors member

calibrate???

in this other thread Crysis on Macbook Pro?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5465070#post5465070

I get this reply it make sense until i get to the calibrate the bat ?how in hell you do that ,i think is joke:D

Turns out that at peak power, with internal monitor, the ac adapter does not provide enough power, so it uses battery power.

Solution is to use external monitor. By turning off internal LCD, the power saving actually means no, or minimal battery use. (Also allow adequate airflow helps too).

Might be impossible in your case since you are traveling, but think about this battery doesn't cost all that much and it'll last quite awhile before needing replacement (calibrate your battery regularly). I never actually need to buy an extra battery for any of my Mac laptops because I calibrate the battery regularly.