MacBook Pro for gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GamerT, Mar 9, 2011.

1. GamerT, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

GamerT macrumors newbie

Im sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Im going into college and I decided to get a mac the problem is, that this is my first experience with a mac notebook. I was mainly wanting a mac book for gaming/study but don't know which one to get. I was looking at the
    2.0GHz quad-core 15" screen
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5

Im wanting the mac to run sc2/wow/rift(bootcamp if needed) at max setting/ plus other fps/mmorpg games. Also where, I can use the bootcamp without and slowing down the macbook. I know Im asking for much but was wondering if this macbook can handle the job. Or if you recommending something esle. Thanks.

*******Thanks for all your replies it was really helpful sorry if this is the wrong forum to talk about a different company. But I was really wondering if this laptop was suited to my need on what I said before. I was looking into digitalstormonline and they had some sweet specs. I would like to have a desktop but with trying to adjust in a dorm setting I would like to wait a year before doing that. I was looking into a http://www.digitalstormonline.com/product.asp?id=298088 which seems great.

specs
    $1626.00
    17.3"
    ntel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (2.00GHz), 6MB L3 Cache, FCPGA10/Socket G2
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 460M GPU (Is this type overclocked?)
    500GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
    8.60 LBs with Battery Pack 16.22 (w) x 10.87 (d) x 1.65~1.79 (h)

Once again I am truly sorry if I offended anyone by putting another companies product on this forum. I felt like you guys really opened my eyes and wondered if I could get a second opinion for getting this type of laptop. Thanks!

2. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

If you care about gaming, it's probably best to get the next level up MBP with AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5. While the processor is good with both models, the Radeon 6750 GPU will make a bigger difference. It will help with running future games down the road as well.

It's not the best GPU for games, but the better option with what is available. you probably won't be able to play all your games at max settings with the 6750, but they will be playable compared to the 6490.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

That machine will not play those games at high detail & native resolution. The high end 15" is your only option in that case. It's actually a pretty beast gaming machine from the hardware side of things, but there are much better options out there if gaming is your main concern.

Two big issues that I see: The macbook does not have good thermal properties for heavy gaming, and the cost is rather extreme for a gaming laptop. Similar hardware can be had for a fraction of the price, and since you'd be running windows for your gaming anyway, you're losing any advantage that OSX may offer.

5. sk3tch macrumors regular

Alienware M17x R3 is a pretty damn good laptop if gaming is more your preference. For $2k you can get a beast gaming laptop.

6. mehanika Guest

Hi GamerT!

I'm not sure a Macbook would be the best offer, if your main concern is gaming.
    First off, you will pay a great pile of money for a computer, where most games will require you to run Windows anyway.
    If you need OSX for another purpose, you should get a 13 inch Macbook, and spend the money on a windows based machine...

7. zenio macrumors 6502

Save yourself a ton of cash
    And a lot of grief

Buy a PC & have Fun.

8. Derango macrumors regular

I have the high end Macbook Pro 15" with the 6750m. Rift will play at medium (+Anti-Aliasing and AF) at about 30-40 FPS. Anything higher and it starts dipping down into the 20s. You're not going to be able to play at ultra on the high end MBP, the low end is going to chug more than my laptop.

It's still a gorgeous game, by the way.

9. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

I see you're looking at 15" screens, which is good. My advice is don't get a 13" screen for gaming. I have the 13" screen and play Starcraft 2 at a high level, and I find the 13" screen far to small to play on. The text and health bars are difficult to read/see at all 3 resolution options. I do all my gaming on my imac, but a 15" screen would work well I'm sure. My desktop monitor used to be 15" back when I played sc1 :D

10. akhbhaat macrumors regular

If gaming is a major priority for you, then you should be putting your money towards a PC desktop and picking up a cheap laptop (or even a netbook) for use in class/at the library. If your budget allows you to build said desktop and still stretch into a Mac (presumably either an Air or the 13" Pro), all the better.

I really don't understand why people insist on buying gaming laptops. A $2000 Alienware laptop with the fastest mobile GPU available will still get stuffed by a $180 desktop GPU--and I should mention that the M17x suggested earlier in this thread weighs something like 12 lbs (more, probably, once you throw in the obligatory power brick and accessories), which is going to be seriously uncomfortable to carry.

11. GamerT, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

GamerT thread starter macrumors newbie

12. iMackPro macrumors 6502

i would agree with everyone else and say get a PC for gaming but sounds like your are sold on getting a mac, so id suggest you getting the higher end 15. just for the GPU. if you cannot afford it, take the money you were going to buy the base 15 with and put it as a downpayment, then finance the computer and your monthly payments will be next to nothing and you'll have 12-18 months of no interest financing, depending if you can get the one you want at bestbuy or have to go through apple

13. iMackPro macrumors 6502

also, the base model you have will surface for the games you want to play i promise you, as long as you don't ever sneak into the apple store and test game on the higher end 15 you'll be just fine ;)

14. far4477 macrumors member

macs aren't for gaming. if gaming is your thing, get a pc. or get the lower end MBP 15 and build your own GREAT gaming machine for under 1000$

15. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Rubbish! The 2011 MBPs with 6750 are amazing gaming machines. I work all day on my MBP except for lunchtimes when I boot into Windows and play smooth Crysis 2 on Extreme settings. Sold my PS3 it's so good.

16. far4477 macrumors member

Sorry, but if i spend $2200 I actually want an amazing gaming machine. And a stupid 6750 is far from amazing. Mac is great and all, but saying it's an amazing gaming machine is a plain lie.

17. GamerT thread starter macrumors newbie

18. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Got one? No? Well I have and it IS an amazing gaming machine.

19. far4477 macrumors member

i got a 2010 MBP, so no. But i also have a windows machine for gaming, and THAT is an amazing machine. The word amazing is way overused.

Example:

6750M = pretty good.
    GTX 590 = amazing.

and you don't even need to spend over 2000$.

Please, i am a mac fan myself, if i wasn't i wouldn't be registered to this forum and i wouldn't have a MBP and an iphone. But you need to stop picturing macs as the ultimate perfect thing for everything. Macs are great for a million things, but if your main aim is gaming, sorry but there are better options.