Macbook Pro for GoPro editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emac520, May 14, 2015.

1. emac520 macrumors newbie

I like the size and portability of the 2015 Macbook Pro 13". I need a new computer now and I want something that I can edit GoPro videos on. I also take a lot of pictures. I'm not a gamer and I don't spend a lot of time editing; so it's mainly used for everyday tasks. Everything I have read tells me that the MBP 15" with the quadcore processor is the way to go, but I feel like it's an overkill for what I'm using it for. I'm looking at the MBP 13" 256 GB PCIe and upgrading to 16GB RAM, which brings the price up to $1,699. If I upgrade to 2.9GHz i5 (from 2.7), it's an extra $100 or $300 for 3.1GHz i7, which would bring the total to $1,999 (the same as the 15" quadcore 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz 16GB 1600MHz memory 256GB PCIe-based flash storage1 Intel Iris Pro Graphics).

1) Do I need to upgrade from 2.7GHz?
    2) Do I need i7 over i5 in a duo processor

I really just don't want glitchy video editing and a computer that will last me for the next 5 years

Thank you for your help,
    Cheers

2. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The upgraded i5 or i7 in the 13" is not worth it. All benchmarks and tests I've seen show minimal performance increase. I think if you feel the base i5 isn't going to work for you, the money is better spent on quad core i7 in the 15" model.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The baseline 15" will be just fine, and dual core wouldn't cut it if your usage pattern (video editing and getting more professional as time goes past) is going to be pretty consistent for the next 5 years.

4. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

In the future when selling, the i7 is more appealing to buyers maybe. But honestly, go for what you need.

5. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Yeah I haven't seen enough of a difference in terms of benchmarks that makes me think the i7 is really worth the cost apple is charging for upgrading. If you are considering bumping up the specs, I would say that you are indeed better off getting a baseline 15". The benchmark differences between the dual core 13s and the baseline quad core 15s are pretty significant.

One thing you may want to consider is waiting 3-4 weeks. It does seem that all signs are pointing to a 15" refresh with broadwell at WWDC. When that happens, you will be able to pick up a really good deal on a 2014 15" macbook from either CL, ebay, or (the one I would go with) the Apple refurb store and get yourself a pretty decent discount.

Might be able to get a mid 2014 2.5/512/16gb/750m for ~$1700 from the Apple store with one year applecare. That'll be a computer that should last you for five years and give you veryyyyyyy good performance.

6. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I have a 2013 rmbp with an i5/16gb/256ssd and it runs everything I could ever want, the latest versions of Lightroom, Photoshop, illustrator, premiere (editing 4k gopro video and more) after effects, etc sometimes all at the same time and I've never had an issue. I think any 2015 rmbp machine would do you just fine for gopro videos.

7. AroundTheFur922 macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

For your needs a baseline 13" rMBP would be perfectly fine. If you have the extra dough and don't mind the bigger footprint than by all means go for the 15", it's a more powerful machine for sure. I have both a 15" rMBP maxed out and a baseline 11" Air and have edited basic two or 3 layer video projects on the Air with no issues whatsoever. The 15" comes in handy when working with complex projects and rendering in After Effects but I doubt you'll run into those situations.