MacBook Pro for Gramps - on the cheap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Hello all!

My grandpa turned 71 last week. He bought his first computer around 2004-ish, and it had Windows XP. He's used that computer until July, when I warned him about XP loosing support in a few years, and that it was starting to fail. He bought a custom-spec'd HP TouchSmart 420 with Windows 7, which I upgraded to Windows 8 in October.

Basically, he's used Windows since his first PC.

He just came up to me and said "William, I'm vaguely considering buying a MacBook Pro -- because they were talking about price cuts on the news."

I explained that they were talking about refurb retina models, and that $1400+ is stupid, plus retina takes away ability to upgrade hardware, etc. Non-retina is the way to go.

So, is it possible for me to buy a MacBook Pro (or MacBook if no MBP possible), made within the last few years (2009, 2008 at the earliest), for under $500 ($600 max)?

That would likely be his budget. He does really basic things. He literally just reads email, super-super-light web usage, listens to his music, and plays solitaire.

It doesn't have to be a super-spec'd machine, just something fairly reasonable, and is able to run ML without stuttering.

Thanks!

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Get him a Retina iPad. I've set up both my grandparents and in-laws with those and they absolutely love using them. For light email, web browsing, Facebook (etc) they are tough to beat. Especially since they can easily be used anywhere in the house. Keep your eyes on Apple refurb page; 16GB iPad 3's go in and out of stock at $379.

You're also looking at "Retina" displays the wrong way. You grandfather is 71. His eyesight isn't getting any better. The elderly benefit from retina screens more than anyone else. If 90% of what he does involves simply reading text, having super-sharp text to look at would be wonderful for him.

3. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

While that is true, and I did stop to consider that, he does have perfect 20/20 vision. Heck, his vision is better than mine. I've already considered the iPad route, and he doesn't want a tablet. I let him use my 4th gen Retina iPad for two weeks while I was in D.C., and he preferred a computer.

Now, on the other hand with my grandma, she'd NEED the Retina display...

4. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

I'd have to wonder if any Mac from 2008 would be better than his new HP. You will need at least a late 2008 or so and you may need it upgraded to run well (memory) and even then, it wil have an old video card at that, so what is the real point other than him just wanting to try OSX?

Really, for his use, he will see and feel zero difference between a Mac and Windows 7/8 IMHO.

6. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

You could get him a '08 for around $500 or less, but I'm not sure that's the wisest decision. Unless the computer has been kept in immaculate condition, or has been refurbished, components are probably breaking down by that point and wouldn't be worth the upkeep. You can simply buy a much better Windows PC for that price point.

If you're looking to introduce him to OS X on the cheap, a '11 or '12 Mini is probably the best bang for your buck, but then you would have to pick up peripherals and a monitor, if he doesn't already have them, which ups the price. I think he's looking for a portable solution though, in which case, I can't really recommend anything for that low, except maybe a '10 Air?

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I was thinking an iPad would be a good choice as well, but if that's not ideal then your next best option would be an older Air. Maybe one of the earlier ones around 2010.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Apple-Ma...61787398?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item53f3284206

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...67067214?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item4170e7174e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...66132675?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item4170d8d4c3

Obviously Apple products are desirable, and one of the easier things to sell on ebay, so they will always get a lot of bids. But if you keep at it you can probably score one more than capable of browsing the web and doing email for under 600. Those are a few pretty close... to give you an idea.