macbook pro for graphic editor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by en21, Dec 9, 2014.

1. en21 macrumors newbie

hi, im on the market for a notebook for image and video editing and im kind of lost with all the models (a PC guy :eek:)

the budget is 1700$.
    screen size im struggling between 15 to the 13, i prefer the big screen but i can compromise on it if i will get a much faster computer for editing

i will be happy for an advise

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac model made in recent years can easily handle the workload you described, so you don't need to worry about performance, no matter which model you choose. You're not compromising anything if you go for the bigger screen.

3. en21 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. leman macrumors 604

Why does it have to be a Mac? If you are on a budget and are looking for performance, but do not mind to have a bulkier computer with less battery, Windows laptops could offer you more bang per buck.

6. en21, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

en21 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a Samsung laptop i7 6g memory with a very good amd graphic card
    and intel graphic, on paper its a very good computer but in reality im always chasing new drivers because of the win8, every time im working on editing a big movie i got to cross my fingers that the comp wont stuck, big PSD files make it a crush on a daily base...

so im done with pc...

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This comment changes advice

I would reccomend a dGPU 15 inch for intensive video work, you will struggle to get one at that price point though.

The iGPU IRIS pro graphics may well work well for you though and that is $1700 in the refurbished apple store.

If you can jump to the $2100 for the dGPU you will certainly appreciate the difference.

The storage may well be a little low for you on the IRIS PRO version but USB 3 external storage for files may well be an answer for that.

See here for details.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

8. en21 thread starter macrumors newbie

i cant see the $2100 maybe someone bought it
    what about this model?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010898-REG/apple_me294ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_notebook.html

is it "better" to buy older model (late 2013) that has better hardware over new model (mid 2014)?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072688-REG/apple_mgxa2ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_notebook.html

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's better to buy the older model simply for the 512GB SSD and NVIDIA GPU.

Both the late-2013 and mid-2014 are of the same generation (Haswell).

You'll appreciate the 512GB SSD. 256GB is going to be a stretch and you'll have headaches shuffling between internal and external drives.

The point of a laptop is to be portable. It's going to be a bit inconvenient to have an external drive hooked up all the time while you're travelling.

And besides, the SSD in the Haswell models aren't upgradeable (well actually they aren't soldered, but nobody makes the PCIe blade SSDs that Apple uses).

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Oh yes

They are basically the same machine a .2ghz speed bump will mean very little in almost all uses.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not really.

The mid-2014 baseline model only has 256GB SSD and no dGPU.

The late-2013 high end model has a 512GB SSD and a dGPU.

So it's not the same.

I agree, the CPU architecture is the same though.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

So True

I assumed we were talking the same configuration if the 2013 is the high end version it is a no brainer, it's much better due to the extra storage space and dGPU.