MacBook Pro for HD video editing (GoPro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipswich78, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ipswich78 macrumors newbie

I'm considering moving from the Windows camp into the Apple ecosystem due to iMovie.

As such I want to look at getting a MacBook Pro - now I know a desktop machine would be the best option but it needs to be portable so I've been looking at the latest MacBook Pros size wise I'd prefer the 13" however I'm concerned if this would be up to the job?

Please advise.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The 13" Retina MacBook Pro is quite powerful. The Flash speeds on the 256GB model will easily exceed 1.4GB/s write and 1.8GB/s read. The SSD alone will compensate for a lot of bottlenecks. Though in saying that it's quite powerful all round - though it's only dual-core it's quite capable. The base Retina MacBook Pro comes with a 2.7GHz Core i5 (I5-5257U), which isn't too bad at all.

The main thing is the Retina display which is a godsend if you're going to be doing any sort of video or photo editing. The colours are fantastic and it's so sharp that it looks like the icons are painted.

In the interest of longevity you may look to get the 2.9GHz/512 model, though that's approaching the prices of a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, where you'll get a lot more power for your money (as they're all quad-core).

TL;DR: Any rMBP would be more than suitable for your needs.

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Even the base model is more than up to the job.

4. ooans macrumors 6502

For video editing I would seriously recommend the four core 15" Macbook Pro instead of the only two core 13". Especially if you ever want to do 4K stuff.