MacBook Pro for Industrial Design Student

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thinkinblue613, Jul 6, 2013.

1. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Hi guys,

I'm going to be starting Industrial Design this fall. I wanted to see advice and suggestions from people familiar with this.

The two models I'm deciding between are the 15" rMBP and 15" hi-res antiglare cMBP. Both will have the same specs of 2.6 GHz or 2.7 GHz, 512 SSD, 16 GB RAM and 1 GB graphics card.

I did a comparison (price-wise), and the Retina model comes off as more affordable with the BTS special, even with the upgrades I need. The only thing holding me off from the Retina are the 'ghosting' and compatibility issues with programs people have mentioned, since its release. Any clarification on these would be great.

I understand people are also waiting on the Haswell updates... You're welcome to suggest whether I should get one now or wait. Sooner the better, so I can get working on things.

2. B..., Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

The cMBP and rMBP have the same compatibility because they have the same software. I would wait for August if you can and see if they are (Haswell machines) out yet.

3. me43 macrumors member

I would say go with the rMBP especially because you can get a much better screen cheaper. Also if you have any problems with ghosting you can return it to Apple anytime within the first year and they will fix it for you.

4. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep them in mind.

5. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Retina vs Hi-Res Antiglare

Anyone have anything to say in regards to the Retina vs. Hi-res Antiglare?

6. LYFK macrumors regular

As an industrial designer/engineer, I would say that the rMBP screen is amazing and once you use it, it's pretty hard to go back. This isn't just the colour/crispness of images but the fact that you get so much room in user interfaces and text quality, which is great because CAD/Adobe CS interfaces can get quite cluttered, and you need all the 'virtual space' you can get.

The anti-glare screen is good, but really, not a must-have feature in your studies overall.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

My vote is for the rMBP.

----------

I've owned both and much prefer the retina screen.