MacBook Pro for info Security

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by dadada2000, Jan 21, 2010.

1. dadada2000 macrumors newbie

I’m moving into a new position at work that is an all PC shop, and need help backing up why I need/ want a Mac.
    Do we have any info sec users here? What do you guys think? Any drawback that you have run into?

Just a few things that come to mind..
    More secure, less vulnerabilities
    Just as fast if not faster for day to day use.
    I can run XP/ Win 7 if needed...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely more secure, just look at what MS issued the other day, an emergency fix to IE, The vulnerability was exploited by the Chinese gov't to hack into gmail. It's also more secure because you don't have the issues that windows has like active-x.

Depends on what you're planning on running. MS Office? be prepared for a slower experience with less features,i.e., no VBA with the OSX version of office.

Also another point to consider is compatibility with the enterprise applications. Do they run on a mac. If they're web based will they run on safari or firefox.

Many IT shops shy away from supporting macs because they're already supporting one platform and adding a second increases their work and complexity quite dramatically. For instance, a number of companies use whole disk encryption for their laptops. If people start buying MBPs and the application that they use for encryption doesn't have a Mac version, then they'll have to go out and spend more money on a Mac version and support that.

I work in a shop that supports both PCs and Macs and I can easily say that while Macs are more secure and less prone to problems. They themselves add to the work load and problems related to enterprise compatibility.

Finally, if you're thinking of running windows 7 in vmware/bootcamp that doesn't make sense in a business arena because you're basically spending a lot of money (apple tax) just to run windows. you'll have to buy a more expensive computer. Plus the corporate build of windows that your company uses may not be compatible with bootcamp/vmware.

Sorry if these answers not quite what you're looking for but being in IT supporting both PCs and Macs, I see the issues first hand. Its not as easy as just convincing the powers that be, that Macs are more secure. There's usually a higher cost associated with adding and supporting a different platform to the enterprise infrastructure.