Macbook Pro for music

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trickyvic, Jul 28, 2010.

1. trickyvic macrumors newbie

About to take the plunge and buy my first laptop (currently have a G5 PPC imac.) I'm planning on using Logic 9, Garageband and Sibelius, and recording live instruments. It will be my main computer, and will be moved about a fair bit.

I'm going for a Macbook Pro since Apple decided to remove the Firewire ports from the Macbooks.

Any thoughts on minimum spec? I can't decide whether to go for 13" or 15" - and would appreciate any ideas on what extras are really worth the additional cash (I haven't got an unlimited budget.)

Many thanks.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Speaking from experience, using Logic on a 13" screen is less than spectacular.

If I were you , I would get the base 15" with the upgraded 1680x1050 screen and a 7200 RPM hard drive. Logic will be very manageable at this resolution, and the faster hard drive will let you record/playback more simultaneous tracks without choking.

What kind of interface will you be using, out of curiosity?

3. trickyvic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Capt.

I'm still deciding on the interface - the Presonus Firestudio Mobile is looking very tempting. Also thinking of the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. Need to break out of my state of indecision paralysis!

I was also thinking of getting a large display monitor (esp. if I end up going for the 13"), but can't afford to do it all at once. It's all adding up . . .

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

An external display would certainly make the 13" more viable. I've got a 20" display that I connect to my macbook when I want to do real work.

5. trickyvic thread starter macrumors newbie

It's frustrating that the 13" can't be upgraded to 7200rpm. Do you reckon 5400rpm will just be too creaky? Or bearable?

6. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

upgrade it yourself, it's a simple process

7. trickyvic thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess so! Although I'm not very good at these things, and for the amount of money I'm about to splash out would like to get it set up so I don't have do any messing about. But thanks for the suggestion.